parameters = NULL

• I have a procedure with 4 parameters all set to = NULL. When I try to run the proc it just hangs. If I remove the = NULL and pass it values it runs fine. If I change any of the parameters to = NULL the proc hangs. I didn't write the code but was charged with finding out why it was hanging and this is what I found. Odd thing is that if the user waited long enough, sometimes 15-30 minutes the report would run. The code that follows runs great. As soon as I add = NULL to one or more of the parameters the proc hangs.

Sword_Calendar is a table of all dates with our fiscal year, quarter, month, week, beginning and ending dates for year, month, week, etc. one record for every day of the year for years to come and years in the past.

Code:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Daily_Sales_GOB]

@Param_Year int

,@Param_Week int

,@Param_DOW int

AS

BEGIN

Declare @Today datetime,

@Year int,

@Week int,

@DOW int

Set @Today = GETDATE();

set @Today = @Today - 1

Set @Year = (select YR_NUMBER from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

Set @Week = (select WK_NUMBER from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

Set @DOW = (select DAY_CODE from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

if @Param_Year is null

begin

set @Param_Year = @Year

set @Param_Week = @Week

set @Param_DOW = @DOW

end

• I don't see anything that would cause that kind of delay. Is this the entire procedure?

Do you have an index on greg_date?

But:

Set @Year = (select YR_NUMBER from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

Set @Week = (select WK_NUMBER from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

Set @DOW = (select DAY_CODE from sword_calendar where @Today between greg_date and greg_date + 1)

This could all be done in one call:

SELECT @Year = YR_NUMBER,

@Week = WK_NUMBER,

@DOW = DAY_CODE

FROM sword_calendar

WHERE @Today BETWEEN greg_date AND greg_date + 1;

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• No indexes on Sword_Calendar (ought to be one on Greg_Date) but there is less than 10,000 records (rows - I'm an old mainframe programmer) in the table.

I agree with your comment on the code. Like I said, I didn't write it but if I did I surely would have done it as suggested as I do in all the programs I write.

This problem is very strange. I also have problems with other procs run from SSRS where some times the report will run in just a few seconds, soon later it will take 3-4 minutes and other times 10-15 minutes. Now this is not a heavily used box. No transaction processing. Just a warehouse. We have 8 processors and 16GB memory. Pretty powerful but sometimes very slow. Like when opening up tables in a db or columns in a table. I get that loading... message sometimes for a few minutes. I've rebooted the server, sql, insured there was a fair amount of disk space empty, etc. Just a frustrated DBA/developer.

I appreciate your interest.

• The rest of the procedure:

SELECT DWSTORE

,@Param_Year as Param_Year

,@Param_Week as Param_Week

,@Param_DOW as Param_DOW

, sum (dw_sales_units) as [Total Units]

, sum (dw_sales_rtl) as [Total Sales Retail]

, sum (dw_mkd_promo) as [Total Mkdwn Promo]

, sum (dw_mkd_in_str) as [Total Mkdwn In Str]

, sum (dw_mkd_promo + dw_mkd_in_str) as [Total Mkdwn]

FROM [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES]

where dwyear = @Param_Year

and dwweek = @Param_week

and dw_dow = @Param_DOW

and dwstore in (1890, 3028, 1648, 1878, 2480, 3180, 1190)

-- and dwstore in (1040,1383,1693,1778,1795,1888,2403,2830,2968)

group by DWSTORE

order by dwstore

Like I say, if I send the proc the parameter values this procedure runs in seconds every time.

• parameter sniffing.

an execution plan is created when the procedure is created, and the SQL engine makes an assumption that since the default values are NULL, the best execution plan should assume the NULL values are in place.

when the values are not defaulted to null, it uses statistics to see how granular the fields are for uniqueness, and creates a different plan based on that info.

but the problem is that when you call the proc with real parameters, the cached plan is not suitable to ge tthe data, and SQL goes off on a tangent trying to get the data; personally i always assumed that a bad plan due to parameter sniffing ended up using the bad plan on a per-row basis, so big MillionRowTables get the same plan a million times, hence the huge time difference...whether that is true or not, the results are the same... it takes too long.

search for parameter sniffing to learn more, but the two general fixes are:

use the WITH RECOMPILE option so the proc recomiles each time it is called... or assign local variables to the actual values being passe dto the procedure.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks a lot. I'll look up parameter sniffing. And yes the table has over 900,000,000 rows.

• Great explanation Lowell!

jnichols - what is the intent if a null is passed in for one of the parameters? To get all values, or to get values where that field is actually null? Because the way that the query is written, I'd be surprised if you get anything back from the query if a null is passed in for any these parameter.

Is is safe to assume that the values for the parameters will be:

@Param_Year (what are valid starting/ending year values for your data?)

@Param_Week 1-52?

@Param_DOW int 1-7?

Does the [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES] table have an index on dwstore, dwyear, dwweek, dw_dow?

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• As you can see, if the @Param_Year is null the default values, which are the current date - 1 day, captured earlier in the procedure are loaded into the params and used in the select statement. And yes, there are those indexes on the table. What with 900 million rows no query would run in an acceptable time. This query runs in about a minute when parameters are passsed to the proc. The problem is that it is called from a SSRS report and the author didn't want the user to have to enter yesterday's date as that is how it is generally used. I modified the report to default to the values of yesterday's date.

• I think we can get around the parameter sniffing and make this work properly.

First, change this code:

Set @Today = GETDATE();

set @Today = @Today - 1

if @Param_Year is null

begin

set @Param_Year = @Year

set @Param_Week = @Week

set @Param_DOW = @DOW

end

to:

SET @Today = DateAdd(day, -1, GetDate());

SELECT @Year = IsNull(@Param_Year, YR_NUMBER),

@Week = IsNull(@Param_Week, WK_NUMBER),

@DOW = IsNull(@Param_DOW, DAY_CODE )

FROM sword_calendar

WHERE @Today BETWEEN greg_date AND greg_date + 1;

Then change your select to use these new values:

SELECT DWSTORE

,@Year as Param_Year

,@Week as Param_Week

,@DOW as Param_DOW

FROM [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES]

WHERE dwyear = @Year

AND dwweek = @week

AND dw_dow = @DOW

AND dwstore in (1890, 3028, 1648, 1878, 2480, 3180, 1190)

GROUP BY DWSTORE

ORDER BY dwstore

How does this work for you?

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• I appreciate the help, all. The problem is fixed.

Thanks

• Great! but it's only fair to tell us how.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (8/27/2010)

Great! but it's only fair to tell us how.

According to an article I read on parameter sniffing I see that the first time the procedure is run if the parameters are null SQL sets up an execution plan that does a table scan. Why I don't understand. If SQL waas all that smart it should have seen I filled the parameters with data if they were null. Now when you have a table with 900 million rows table scanning takes some time. I guess I could force SQL not to use the stored execution plan and build a new one with the WITH RECOMPILE option but I am afraid the same result will happen if the parameters are null then. So I changed the SSRS that calls this procedure to default to the same values the procedure builds if the parameters are null. So the code remains the same. And I appreciate the recode WanyeS offered but my mantra is "don't fix it if it's not broken". Now obviously that does not hold true when a proecedure works but is very slow like this one. But the quick fix is to change the SSRS.

code:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Daily_Sales_GOB]

@Param_Year int

,@Param_Week int

,@Param_DOW int

AS

BEGIN

Declare @Today datetime,

@Year int,

@Week int,

@DOW int

Set @Today = GETDATE();

set @Today = @Today - 1

if @Param_Year is null

begin

set @Param_Year = @Year

set @Param_Week = @Week

set @Param_DOW = @DOW

end

SELECT DWSTORE

,@Param_Year as Param_Year

,@Param_Week as Param_Week

,@Param_DOW as Param_DOW

FROM [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES] -- 900 million record table

where dwyear = @Param_Year

and dwweek = @Param_week

and dw_dow = @Param_DOW

and dwstore in (1890, 3028, 1648, 1878, 2480, 3180, 1190)

group by DWSTORE

order by dwstore

• What you need is a clusted index on [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES] (dwyear, dwweek, dw_dow, dwstore)

Then your query will return results instantly.

But schedule index creation for weekend: on a table with 900 mil rows it will take whole day.

And make sure you've got plenty of space for LOG file. "Plenty" means 2-3 times more than the table occupies.

• Sergiy (8/30/2010)

What you need is a clusted index on [DW_PROD].[dbo].[SPF053_SALES] (dwyear, dwweek, dw_dow, dwstore)

Then your query will return results instantly.

But schedule index creation for weekend: on a table with 900 mil rows it will take whole day.

And make sure you've got plenty of space for LOG file. "Plenty" means 2-3 times more than the table occupies.

Yep, but the SPF053_Sales table is not the largest in our warehouse. We have table with 1.220 BILLION rows. Also a few more with over 200 million rows. This is a retail chain and the TLOG is pretty big. (1.220 billion rows). I agree with what you are saying but we can't take that table or any other of the directly related tables off line, much less the space needed for clustered indexes on these and more tables that need them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• It only confirms that such a lame database design is not good enough for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply