package Works, but not scheduled

• Hi list,

I have a serious problem with SQLServer 7, SP3. First some background infos.

We have some packages and jobs which transfer and transform data from AS400 to SQLserver7. All jobs work fine. Some jobs have parallel connections to AS400 and SQLServer, everthing OK. BUT after reinstalling complete server, because of adding a second CPU our jobs no more run.

First we've tested the packages, these packages run only if we use only one connect, if we use parallel connection (as before) packages fail at different steps. So we changed our packages to only one connect and they run fine. But if we run these packages as a job, the job always failed without error messages. I'm very confused about this behaviour. On another site the same jobs work on the same hardware. Only difference is the second processor. Hardware is a HP LH3000.

Any help is welcome.

Volker

• quote:

Hi list,

I have a serious problem with SQLServer 7, SP3. First some background infos.

Hi Volker..

You may want to check out which version of MDAC you have installed on the rebuilt server...? can U run any other process in parallel..if yes then you may need to rebuild the package from scratch..

use the Component Checker (download from MS DATA site)and check version's on your different servers.

• Hi Neil,

first I've installed MDAC 2.61..., does'nt work, then I've installed MDAC 2.7, same result.

Can you send me the link to MS DATA site, for downloading Component Checker?

Thanks

Volker

• Hi volker

here is the link

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm#CCinfo

download this and unzip & install

run the program and let it determine the version installed

As a side note..the infinity mask needs to be set to use all CPU's or parallism will not work..

(use sp_configure or view server settings via EM) to ensure it includes all the processors.

without more details about this DTs package I can only advise the basics

U can use the /U switch to uninstall MDAC (advise this is done via the Component checker program)..read the help file for instructions... it is relatively easy

I have version 2.6 RTM installed and parallism works fine with this version of MDAC..

? have you tested that a simple paralism DTS package works @ all on the Server..

Let me know if U need more help..

RG

Neil Hambly

• Why not disable a processor to see if that is really the problem or not? I would be surprised if is, but easy to rule it out by testing.

Andy

• Hi Neil,

first thanks for prompt reply. On Monday I'm on customer site where the problems are. I will check MDAC and reinstall 2.6 RTM. But the parallism thing is not so important, more important is the question why package runs, but job fails. The only difference in package and job is, that there is a step before (calling a procedure which updates 1 value in one row of a table) package and a step after package ( (calling a procedure which updates 1 value in one row of a table).

any ideas

RG

Volker

• Hello again

Try running the DTS package via a cmd prompt

I.e c:\DTSRUN /S<server_name> /U<Sql_account> /P<password> /N<package_name>

it should return U back to the cmd prompt when completed if it does not then U will need to sort out MDAC (probably multiple versions installed) and then when it works via the cmd prompt..Schedule it again..test it works then setup the rest of the steps or transfer that step into your current jobs etc..

Good luck

Neil

• Check the account that the job is running under, may not have access.

Andy

• This is a question to Neil S Hambly.

Hi Neil,

Sometimes I have the same problem with running my DTS packages from the package and the job interfaces.

I think, you are right about multiple MDAC versions because I always keep my eye on the new releases and I have almost all versions starting from 2.1 (I checked in CC). You were mentioning about sorting of multiple MDAC versions. How can I sort them?

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply