Package runs fine in BIDS but fails through agent

• When I run package through BIDs, it runs fine. But it gives the following error messsage while running through agent.

The variable cannot be found. This occurs when an attempt is made to retrieve a variable from the Variables collection on a container during execution of the package, and the variable is not there. The variable name may have changed or the variable is not being created

I did notice I have two version of SQL server Integration Services (10.0 and 11.0). I did a upgrade to 2012 from 2008R2.

Does this have to do anything with it?

• SQL_Surfer (1/6/2014)

When I run package through BIDs, it runs fine. But it gives the following error messsage while running through agent.

The variable cannot be found. This occurs when an attempt is made to retrieve a variable from the Variables collection on a container during execution of the package, and the variable is not there. The variable name may have changed or the variable is not being created

I did notice I have two version of SQL server Integration Services (10.0 and 11.0). I did a upgrade to 2012 from 2008R2.

Does this have to do anything with it?

Before I read your post I was prepared with the standard permissions issue that most people run into in various ways when running something in SQL Agent as opposed to SSMS, BIDS, etc.

But since it is a variable issue, now I think you may be onto something with the version difference. Is the package prepared and running in the same build?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Build on 2008r2 and then migrated to 2012

• So the migrated package runs fine in 2012 BIDS? Or the pre-migrated 2008R2 package runs fine in 2008R2 BIDS?

Is that the full error message?

What are you validation settings in 2012?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Package variables are case-sensitive, can you check in the agent job while setting the values for the variables, the variable names are same as defined within the package.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply