Organize SSMS Custom Reports with Directory Structure

• I have been searching all over, but I can't seem to find how to organize custom reports within SSMS. I realize that once you open a Custom Report, it will be sitting in the bottom as a recently run report, but how can you create a directory structure (like the built-in "Standard Reports")?

Here is a quote from BOL:

We recommend that users who have many custom reports organize them by using file system folders that have appropriate NTFS file system permissions.

So BOL states that this is what should be done, but I haven't been able to find the how. I've searched all through the SQL Server directories but I can't seem to find it (or even where the Standard Reports live).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• My "Custom Reports" folder was under "My Documents\SQL Server Management Studio". Looks like it's just a matter of creating directories there.

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

• Colleen M. Morrow (7/16/2012)

My "Custom Reports" folder was under "My Documents\SQL Server Management Studio". Looks like it's just a matter of creating directories there.

Hey, Colleen!!! So I tried that but I didn't see the additional header in SSMS for reports. There is no extra nested level for organization in the menu item when you right click an object in object explorer. Now that I think about this, is SSMS even capable of this?

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• I don't think there's any way to create a menu like for the standard reports. From the BOL it sounded to me like you just use the directories.

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply