Optimizing SQL queries

• Hi All,

I am sitting with a situation where I have a table that is 27 MB in size and a query that runs against it that possibly needs to be optimized. The query takes less than a sec to bring back the data however I have run that estimated execution plan and it shows that in the query there is a Clustered Index Scan of 74%. See query below.

SELECT

table2.column1 AS <columnname>

FROM

table1

LEFT OUTER JOIN table2

ON

table1.columnn2 = table2.column2

JOIN [PARAMETER]

ON

[PARAMETER] = 'ColumnData'

AND column3> (GETDATE() - CAST(PARAMETERVALUE AS INT))

AND column4 = 'columndata'

WHERE

table1.column2 = 5000

ORDER BY

column3 DESC

The number of records that is returned amounts to 100. The is a clustered index on the primary key. I have added an non-clustered index to table1.column2. The query plan is still showing that a clustered index scan is at 75% cost. Can anyone please assist. Does this query need to be optimized any further?

Regards

IC

• Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I can't post that information:

See statistics results:

Table 'Table1'. Scan count 1, logical reads 3512, physical reads 3, read-ahead reads 3508, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Table 'table2'. Scan count 0, logical reads 2, physical reads 2, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 47 ms, elapsed time = 39 ms.

• Hi All,

I create the missing index as the estimated query plan suggested which improves statistics on the query.

Thanks!!

• Imke Cronje (12/17/2010)

I can't post that information:

It's very hard (near impossible) to provide correct advice on performance problems without seeing what I asked for. Without knowing what the table looks like and what indexes are already there, any suggestions can be completely wrong.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply