Optimizing queries / nested joins and an index scan

• How do I optimize a query with several nested joins? An index scan has the highest cost in the execution plan and a related nested join has the second highest cost. The query includes Case statements -- but the execution plan doesn't report these as an issue. I see no obvious way to improve the query.

How do you know when a query cannot be further optimized?

When does it make sense to redesign tables in a database and there are stored procedures that are written for the current design?

• pls check any inner query take more time that time you will use temporary tables.

and also use with(nolock) option in that query.

• subbareddy542 (7/26/2012)

and also use with(nolock) option in that query.

Recommending a bad idea with no discussion of the side effects?

See - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidlean/archive/2009/04/06/sql-server-nolock-hint-other-poor-ideas.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Post the query so people can have a look at it:-)

• Golfer22 (7/25/2012)

How do I optimize a query with several nested joins? An index scan has the highest cost in the execution plan and a related nested join has the second highest cost. The query includes Case statements -- but the execution plan doesn't report these as an issue. I see no obvious way to improve the query.

When does it make sense to redesign tables in a database and there are stored procedures that are written for the current design?

Post the execution plan as a .sqlplan file attachment so folks can have a look. CASE expressions in the output of a query rarely have any significant impact on performance; elsewhere in a query the impact can be very significant.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Golfer22 (7/25/2012)

That's very hard. When you can find no way to improve it, then you could say that, but it's possible that someone else may know a trick you don't.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks for the responses.

I have a question about this response:

"pls check any inner query take more time that time you will use temporary tables."

Can you rephrase this? Could temporary tables help? Or table-valued variables?

• Golfer22 (7/26/2012)

Could temporary tables help? Or table-valued variables?

If the query is relatively simple (small number of tables), probably not.

If you post the query, it would help.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply