Opposite of stoplist

• Hi

I was just wondering, with full text indexes you can have a stoplist. Is there an opposite of this? e.g.: words you want to be able to match?

Thanks 🙂

The Fastest Methods aren't always the Quickest Methods

• anything not in the stop list is searchable...but you might want to look at the thesaurus, where you can add cross references for words that don't exist in your data.

a typical example might be where you add "Camero","Z28" to point to "Chevy" , so that searches on any three of those words link to items that say "Chevy" in your full text index.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I have the full word 'Jenny' in the table will adding to the thesaurus be able to make me search for 'jen' and get 'Jenny'?

• BinaryDigit (8/12/2011)

I have the full word 'Jenny' in the table will adding to the thesaurus be able to make me search for 'jen' and get 'Jenny'?

yes exactly. in your example, you might expand the theoosraur sfor "jen" "jennie" and "jennifer" to point to Jenny";

also common misspellings of things help as well, so you might add "jeny" and "ejnny" as well to get better results with the searches.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you, I've been searching now to find out how to add these words but am having no luck . Could you please give me something I could search for to get articles on how to add to the thesaurus 🙂

• here's the BOl article about it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142491.aspx

the xml example that we talked about would look like this, i think:

<expansion>

<!--first word is our keyword, all the others are alternatives -->

<sub>Jenny</sub>

<sub>Jen</sub>

<sub>Jennie</sub>

<sub>Jennifer</sub>

<sub>ejnny</sub>

<sub>Jeny</sub>

</expansion>

Lowell

• Thank you 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply