Online indexing

• Ninja's_RGR'us (4/26/2011)

Michael Valentine Jones (4/26/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (4/26/2011)

Michael,

You're right. Totally my bad. I was working of a SQL 2000 assumption and by the time I figured out I was wrong, I was rushing to correct my post before a meeting, and didn't write the correct information.

I should know better than to do that.

I was wondering why the OP even posted this question.

Taking 5 minutes to actually test it would have verified that you can.

I stopped torturing me with that question after only 3 months here... I'm actually a lot saner since then :w00t:.

To be fair, Books Online is hard to navigate for someone who hasn't had a lot of practice. Especially if you don't know the Index feature for finding specific keywords, or don't know to look under ALTER INDEX for the Online option. Sometimes, when you're confused, posting the question is the only way to get it straight in one's head.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/26/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/26/2011)

Michael,

You're right. Totally my bad. I was working of a SQL 2000 assumption and by the time I figured out I was wrong, I was rushing to correct my post before a meeting, and didn't write the correct information.

I stopped torturing me with that question after only 3 months here... I'm actually a lot saner since then :w00t:.

To be fair, Books Online is hard to navigate for someone who hasn't had a lot of practice. Especially if you don't know the Index feature for finding specific keywords, or don't know to look under ALTER INDEX for the Online option. Sometimes, when you're confused, posting the question is the only way to get it straight in one's head.

That is why I suggested it was better to just do a quick test, instead of posting here (or reading BOL). I had the same question myself a few months ago, so I just tried it it: Use SSMS to navigate to an 80 database, table, and indexes, select Rebuild All from the drop down menu, select option to script the rebuild, modify the script to say ONLINE=ON, and run it.

• Michael Valentine Jones (4/26/2011)

Michael,

Sometimes it is just part of the learning process. I think many of us do that (ask quickly without research first) from time to time because it "seems" faster and easier at the moment. But at least it is out there now for several people to learn.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/26/2011)

Michael,

That is why I suggested it was better to just do a quick test, instead of posting here (or reading BOL). I had the same question myself a few months ago, so I just tried it it: Use SSMS to navigate to an 80 database, table, and indexes, select Rebuild All from the drop down menu, select option to script the rebuild, modify the script to say ONLINE=ON, and run it.

I've done the same thing for a few things out of curiosity. Have done it with SQL 2008+ as well. It is nice to find little nuggets such as online indexing and Backup Compression and Table compression that still work despite the compatibility level.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

I was wondering why the OP even posted this question. Taking 5 minutes to actually test it would have verified that you can.

There were two parts to the original question. I took the first question as a 'lead-in' to the second.

I don't know why the original question was posted - perhaps they didn't have access to a SQL Server at the moment the question occurred - or one of a million other possible reasons. I don't see that it really matters, to be honest.

It's not an unreasonable question, and the answers to it will be available to anyone with access to a search engine wondering the same thing in future.

Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply