One query is hogging my baby!!!

• Ideally, it should be on another server. But, since you mentioned budgeting, I suggested a different DB on the same server as a way to reduce reporting impact on production. . It would prevent any data contention because the reporting would be done from another DB - for example, no table locks that would affect production users.  You could also have different indexes useful for reporting that you may not want in production.

• quoteMy boss already rewrote the query to pull one day at a time and it runs in under 10 sec per day. He made the changes to it that day. I kept the query the same for my testing.

Ok... one more time... Post the code, Will

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• compare the execution plans between the 1 day and 10 day executions. You may have to use a hint, or an explicit temporary table.

How up to date are your statistics? What % of the data is being sampled for your stats? You may need a bigger sample than the default. Statistics has quite often been the culprit for me.

Andy

• I really don't care how bad the query was or care about optimizing it. All I wanted to do was make sure that one query couldn't take over my server and I have done that. Someone else could write a query that's worse tomorrow.

I guess you guys really enjoy a optimizing things.

Here's the code anyway. (I do appreciate your previous help on the issue)

CREATE TABLE CURRENT_GEN_REPORT (

AGENT_FIRST_NAME char (20) NULL ,

AGENT_TITLE char (25) NULL ,

AGENT_LAST_NAME char (20) NULL ,

BUSINESS_UNIT char (20) NULL ,

CITY char (20) NULL ,

EFFECTIVE_DATE char (10) NULL ,

EFFECTIVE_TIME char (11) NULL ,

LAST_ACCESS char (10) NULL ,

LAST_ACCESS_TIME char (11) NULL ,

LEVEL1_ID char (6) NULL ,

LEVEL1_NAME char (40) NULL ,

LEVEL2_ID char (6) NULL ,

LEVEL2_NAME char (40) NULL ,

LEVEL3_ID char (6) NULL ,

LEVEL3_NAME char (40) NULL ,

REGION char (2) NULL ,

STATUS char (10) NULL ,

STREET char (50) NULL ,

TEAM char (20) NULL ,

AGENT_UUID char (6) NULL ,

VP_ID char (6) NULL ,

VP_NAME char (40) NULL ,

AVAYA_ID int NULL ,

SALES_CODE char (10) NULL ,

LOGIN char (10) NULL ,

MGR_CCPULSE char (20) NULL ,

MGR_NAME char (40) NULL ,

CTI_UUID char (6) NULL ,

PRIMARY_SKILL char (20) NULL ,

COL_DAT char (10) NULL ,

LOAD_TIME char (10) NULL

)

GO

CREATE TABLE CTAGENTS (

IDCOL int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,

REGION char (1) NOT NULL ,

OFF_COD char (4) NOT NULL ,

SUB_ID int NOT NULL ,

AGENT_ID int NOT NULL ,

SSN int NOT NULL ,

SUITSID char (6) NOT NULL ,

LASTNAME varchar (23) NOT NULL ,

FIRSTNAME varchar (23) NOT NULL ,

MIDDLEINI char (1) NULL ,

NCSDATE char (10) NOT NULL ,

ISFULLTIME bit NOT NULL ,

MAXHOURS decimal(5, 2) NOT NULL ,

ISACD bit NOT NULL

)

GO

CREATE TABLE CTEEXC (

IDCOL int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,

REGION char (1) NOT NULL ,

SSN int NOT NULL ,

AGENT_ID int NOT NULL ,

SUB_ID int NOT NULL ,

COL_DAT char (10) NOT NULL ,

START_TIME int NOT NULL ,

STOP_TIME int NOT NULL ,

RT_SCH_EXC char (4) NOT NULL ,

ELINK_CODE char (5) NOT NULL ,

CODE_TYPE char (1) NOT NULL ,

DAT_VAL decimal(6, 2) NOT NULL ,

REASON varchar (6) NOT NULL ,

ERR varchar (200) NOT NULL ,

L_UPD char (14) NOT NULL ,

L_SUB char (14) NOT NULL ,

COST_CODE varchar (4) NOT NULL ,

L_MOD smalldatetime NOT NULL ,

APP bit NOT NULL ,

REPAPP bit NOT NULL

)

GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX C_ADH_AGENT_NO_AGG ON CURRENT_GEN_REPORT (COL_DAT, AGENT_UUID) WITH FILLFACTOR = 80

CREATE INDEX u_agent_uuid_col_dat ON CURRENT_GEN_REPORT (AGENT_UUID, COL_DAT) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX SchedOpen ON CURRENT_GEN_REPORT (COL_DAT, AVAYA_ID) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX REPACCESS ON CTAGENTS (REGION, OFF_COD, LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX IDCOL ON CTAGENTS (IDCOL) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX SSN ON CTAGENTS (SSN, OFF_COD, REGION, ISFULLTIME, MAXHOURS) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX offcod ON CTAGENTS (OFF_COD, SSN) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX Rep9115Exc ON CTEEXC (SSN, COL_DAT desc , ELINK_CODE, REGION) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX CcapIndex2 ON CTEEXC (SSN, COL_DAT desc , ELINK_CODE, L_UPD, L_SUB) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX Ajax9115 ON CTEEXC (ELINK_CODE, COL_DAT desc , SSN, REGION) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX IDCOLEXC ON CTEEXC (IDCOL) WITH DROP_EXISTING

CREATE INDEX ERROR_CHECK_EXC ON CTEEXC (ERR, SSN, COL_DAT desc , REGION) WITH DROP_EXISTING

go

select 'Active Employee' [Employee Status], c.TEAM, c.LEVEL3_NAME, c.LEVEL2_NAME, c.LEVEL1_NAME, 0 SSN,

b.SUITSID, ltrim(rtrim(c.AGENT_LAST_NAME)), ltrim(rtrim(c.AGENT_FIRST_NAME)),

a.ELINK_CODE, sum(a.DAT_VAL)

from PAYROLL..CTEEXC a left join

PAYROLL..CTAGENTS b on a.SSN = b.SSN left join

CCA_DATAMART..CURRENT_GEN_REPORT c on upper(b.SUITSID) = upper(c.AGENT_UUID)

where a.COL_DAT between '2007-07-01' and '2007-07-31' and c.COL_DAT = a.COL_DAT and

a.SSN = b.SSN and OFF_COD between '0000' and '9999' and a.SSN > 999999 and VP_ID in ('RE4832','JP8983')

group by c.TEAM, c.LEVEL3_NAME, c.LEVEL2_NAME, c.LEVEL1_NAME, a.SSN, b.SUITSID,

ltrim(rtrim(c.AGENT_LAST_NAME)), ltrim(rtrim(c.AGENT_FIRST_NAME)), a.ELINK_CODE

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Will,

Not really digging through too hard, but this line caught my eye

OFF_COD between '0000' and '9999'

Are there other values? This seems like a strange join condition. Can it be < '0000'?

• Also, we have multiple drive arrays on our production box, so even if you're reporting off the same server, you can put your reporting DB on different drives, to reduce production impact.

• quoteI really don't care how bad the query was or care about optimizing it. All I wanted to do was make sure that one query couldn't take over my server and I have done that. Someone else could write a query that's worse tomorrow.

I guess you guys really enjoy a optimizing things.

Heh... If you don't care about it, then I guess I shouldn't.    Telling your boss to run it for just a month at a time was definitely the right thing to do

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• 0000 and 9999 are a range of office codes. We also have offices codes that are alpha like '4RFT' and 'H7EE' and such.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• "Heh... If you don't care about it, then I guess I shouldn't. Telling your boss to run it for just a month at a time was definitely the right thing to do "

I'm sure you meant 'just a day at a time' instead of 'just a month at a time'. Like I said, my boss is pretty cool. He realized that it could rewrite the query to go a day at a time before I had a chance to fix the server.

It could have been worse, I could have a boss that wouldn't rewrite the query!

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• If there are alpha codes, wouldn't "< '9999'" work? Alphas should order above that. Might help it slightly,

• That's what the query has. Not sure what you are asking. Alpha does order above that.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• OFF_COD between '0000' and '9999'

vs.

OFF_COD <= '9999' (or, OFF_COD < 'A')

- using a single '<' rather than between might speed up execution a little. I'm synthesizing above posts to clarify the point.

• Yep, steve_smith, of (steve) Smith and Jones fame, hit it. It should run a little faster if that field is indexed and it's used.

• Ah, now I see what you're saying. I thought that you were comparing <9999 to <'9999'. I thought that it was a little strange that the forum admin would post something like that. That's a good idea. I'll remember that in the future and also check out the query plan with that change.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply