One a Week

• BWFC (7/30/2014)

I've even heard that some pubs allow self catering option.

My sister (actually my mum) did the catering for my nephew's Christening do herself. The pub made a nominal charge for the room and got the bar takings.

Of course, this can naturally lead to a more social follow on event for those who are local, have public transport links or don't mind not drinking. (Not referring to BWFC's nephew's Christening of course :hehe:)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've attended a couple SQL Saturdays, starting with my first one just last year and found them to be very enjoyable. I don't know how anyone could attend one and not learn something new. You also get to meet a lot of new people, which is very cool. I would attend more of them if they were offered close to home. I like to reserve the weekends for my family, but I don't think once a quarter is too much.

• Gary Varga (7/30/2014)

BWFC (7/30/2014)

I've even heard that some pubs allow self catering option.

My sister (actually my mum) did the catering for my nephew's Christening do herself. The pub made a nominal charge for the room and got the bar takings.

Of course, this can naturally lead to a more social follow on event for those who are local, have public transport links or don't mind not drinking. (Not referring to BWFC's nephew's Christening of course :hehe:)

That turned into a very social event πŸ˜€ It's the niece's in August, all I can say is I'm grateful it's a bank holiday the day after.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Jim P. (7/29/2014)

Andrew Kernodle (7/29/2014)

Haha, I'm actually kinda giddy to take a shot at this now :-P. Well, planning, setup, and budgeting come first, so I'll try to cast out some lines and see where I get with that.

Check with your local Donato's, Pizza Hut, etc. Some of them will give you a good rate on assorted pizza's with various toppings if you plan and schedule a minimum order ahead of time. Also Subway with their humongous subs will too. And some stores also have fairly cheap fried chicken in the deli area.

Oh, food was definitely already a consideration :-D. Thankfully, there's actually quite a few catering companies out here; I've eaten from some of them, and they're quite good, with reasonable prices. If things look a little more definite on the planning in a few months, once everything's been researched more, I'll see if I can land a competitive rate from one of the restaurants.

- πŸ˜€

• Hi Andrew,

For quite some time now, I've been trying to find a volunteer to host a SQLSaturday and PASS Chapter there in Chattanooga. There are some really simple ways to get started. I'd love a chance to talk with you.

Karla Landrum

PASS Community Evangelist

SQL Babe

• Oh goodness! Certainly, I'd be willing to speak with you about it :-D. Granted, it's all still very tentative in my head, but I'd gladly discuss my ideas at present. What would be a good point of contact for you?

- πŸ˜€

• Thanks Andrew. You can reach me at karla.landrum at sqlpass.org

SQL Babe

• crussell-931424 (8/4/2014)

...and that's just counting the events you know about. I'm sure there are many unofficial events doing the same thing. We have one here in my town once a year every Spring at the local college.

Indeed. There are iniatives that do not belong to the official PASS organisation.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply