# of characters

• how to count number of characters in a string in sql query?

• SELECT LEN('How long is this?')

This would return 17.

That help?

• What datatype is the string?

DECLARE @Variable_Char CHAR(30), @Variable_Varchar VARCHAR(30)

SET @Variable_Char = 'String to measure '

SET @Variable_Varchar = 'String to measure '

SELECT LEN(@Variable_Char), LEN(@Variable_Varchar), DATALENGTH(@Variable_Char), DATALENGTH(@Variable_Varchar)

SELECT LEN(REPLACE(@Variable_Varchar, ' ', '')), LEN(REPLACE(@Variable_Char, ' ', ''))

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• well actlly sorry for not explaining that properly i mean # of characters like fro instance the string is :--

SQLSERVER

result sholuld be like :--

S-2

Q-1

L-1

E-2

R-2

V-1

string is nvarchar..

• DECLARE @WordToCheck VARCHAR(30) = 'SQL SERVER'

SELECT Letter, COUNT(*)

FROM(

SELECT Letter = SUBSTRING(@WordToCheck, n.n, 1)

FROM (SELECT TOP 30 n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY [Name]) FROM sys.columns) n

WHERE n.n <= LEN(@WordToCheck)

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ***Edited***

Above mentioned method works better..

[font="Times New Roman"]For better assistance in answering your questions
    Click Here[/url][/font]

• ChrisM@Work (7/26/2011)

That's slick, and definitely going in my toolbox. I never would have guessed that could be done with set-based code.

• pdanes2 (7/26/2011)

ChrisM@Work (7/26/2011)

That's slick, and definitely going in my toolbox. I never would have guessed that could be done with set-based code.

Thanks! Must admit though, it's borrowed from the teachings of Jeff Moden 🙂 Thanks Jeff.

• I would have to agree that it is very slick.

I was trying to think of doing it with out having to rely on sys.columns, but I can not think of a way.

Cool solution, made me think. :hehe:

• thnksss for the help 🙂

• jwbart06 (7/26/2011)

I would have to agree that it is very slick.

I was trying to think of doing it with out having to rely on sys.columns, but I can not think of a way.

• ChrisM@Work (7/26/2011)

DECLARE @WordToCheck VARCHAR(30) = 'SQL SERVER'

SELECT Letter, COUNT(*)

FROM(

FROM (SELECT TOP 30 n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY [Name]) FROM sys.columns) n

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

This is SLICK!! Mr. Chris 🙂

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• jwbart06 (7/26/2011)

Use a tally table. The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop.[/url]

SELECT Letter, COUNT(*)

FROM(

FROM (SELECT TOP 300 n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY N) FROM Tally) n

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• You gotta love the recursive CTE version of this solution, even though it doesn't perform as well as the tally table version.

CREATE TABLE #t (strings VARCHAR(100));

-- Count the unique characters

;WITH Parser (strs, rest, Num) AS (

SELECT SUBSTRING(strings,1,1), SUBSTRING(strings,2,LEN(strings)), 1

FROM #t UNION ALL

SELECT SUBSTRING(rest, 1, 1), SUBSTRING(rest, 2, LEN(rest)), 1

FROM Parser WHERE LEN(rest) > 0

)

SELECT strs, COUNT(Num) AS Count

FROM Parser

GROUP BY strs

DROP TABLE #t

Recursive CTEs! You gotta love their black little hearts even though they're perplexing!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Sean Lange (4/26/2012)

jwbart06 (7/26/2011)

Use a tally table. The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop.[/url]

SELECT Letter, COUNT(*)

FROM(

FROM (SELECT TOP 300 n = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY N) FROM Tally) n

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

you dont need the sub select to the tally table. in the original query where the sub select is from sys.columns it is creating the tally table on the fly. if you have a tally table in your database it would just be the following:

SELECT Letter, COUNT(*)

FROM(

FROM Tally n

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

why row_number a table of numbers??

i also ran the following on my million GUID table and it came out in 30 seconds (roughly). the recursive cte after 5 min had still not come back (is there any supprise there)

SELECT @letter = Letter, @count = COUNT(*)

FROM(

SELECT Letter = SUBSTRING(col, n.n, 1)

FROM Random

CROSS JOIN Tally n

WHERE n.n <= LEN(col)

) d

WHERE Letter <> ' '

GROUP BY Letter

ORDER BY Letter

----===== Tally Table =====-----

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 30872 ms, elapsed time = 31546 ms.

----===== Recursive CTE =====-----

Query was cancelled by user.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply