ODBC connect failure to named SqlServer Instance

• Hi,

I had a strange proble connecting to named Sql Server instance.

1. Some workstations worked OK

2. One server did not work - 'Server not found...' servername\prodinstance

3. All traffic were routed (NAT) through a firewall via same IP which was allowed in the firewall

4. When I had tried everything else I finally asked them to start one other SqlServer instance on the same machine and tried one database there ==> worked OK AND

5. My problematic named instance was suddenly found as well!!

??? why

• Hi Ville,

my first hint would be to check the MDAC version on the client machines. MDAC 2.7 or newer is required to access named instances.

Regards,

Goce smilevski.

• Hi Goce,

the thing is that the connection to the desired server works when the other SqlServer instance (on the same server) is started and dies shortly after its shutdown....?

• I would hard set the port of the named instance if it is comming throught the firewall. The listener will pick a random port if 1433 is already taken by another instance on the same server.

Wes

• Hi Wes and Goce,

thank you both for your efforts

The instance is now allowed via tcp/ip,port and it works okay. It can be rather difficult in these kind of situations: The server resides in company A server hotel, it is run by company B, data connections are taken care by company C and the customer is company D, which I am working for as an external

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply