Obtaining error message information in alerts and jobs

• Hopefully, I can state the problem I'm having in an understandable way.

I'm running SQL Server 2K, sp3a.

I set up a trigger which does a RAISERROR to fire an alert. The alert runs a job. Everything works well so far.

Now, in the job step, I would like to get the actual message text of the error that originally fired the alert. The reason for this is that the message text contains a field (%s) which is substituted at error time with a value which can be used to change the behavior of the job.

In the BOL, in the "Automating a Response to an Alert" section there is a statement, "Creating jobs to respond to the alert is time-consuming because you must first parse and analyze the information in the message and then insert the relevant information into Transact-SQL commands," which implies this can be done, albeit slowly. Of course, the rest of the section refers to replication which is not involved in my situation. I have not been able to find any reference for this type of thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Look in Books OnLine for sp_add_jobstep where the specifaction for the @command can include one or more of the case-sensitive tokens which are replaced at run time.  These token are not availalbe under query analyzer but only is a job that has been invoked by an alert !

Be sure to wrap the tokens with double quotes as the brackets are part of the token and are also replaced.  Here is an example of how to reference in a job step:

declare @ServerName  varchar(255)

,  @DBname  varchar(255)

, @Error  varchar(255)

, @Severity varchar(255)

, @ErrorMsg varchar(255)

select  @ServerName  =  "[A-SVR]"

, @DBname  =  "[A-DBN]"

, @Error  =  "[A-ERR]"

, @Severity =  "[A-SEV]"

, @ErrorMsg =  "[A-MSG]"

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• There is a good article on SQL Agent tokens over at http://www.sqldev.net

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• This is great! Just what I was looking for! Thanks guys. It worked like a charm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply