null value for Middle initial for combined name

• I hope this is the right place to ask this. If not I apologize and would request guidance.

I have this sql statement

SELECT [Fname]+' '+[middle]+' '+[Lname] AS fullname

It works just fine and produces John R Smith in the fullname column. However, I do allow nulls for the middle value and when the middle initial is left blank, I don't return any value at all, like the whole record is blank.

Is my statement flawed or do I need something different in the middle column than just allow nulls? Unfortunately requiring an initial is no an option.

Thanks very much for any advise.

• One option is:

SELECT [Fname] + ' ' + ISNULL([middle] + ' ', '') + [Lname] AS fullname

• Look at the ISNULL function.

ISNULL ( check_expression , replacement_value )

check_expression

Is the expression to be checked for NULL. check_expression can be of any type.

replacement_value

Is the expression to be returned if check_expression is NULL. replacement_value must be of a type that is implicitly convertible to the type of check_expresssion

SELECT [Fname]+' '+ISNULL([middle],' ')+' '+[Lname] AS fullname

that is replace the null value with a blank - or use a CASE statement if the blank makes 2 blanks between first and last name and that is not desirable.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Also, just as another avenue, you could use: SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

That causes concatenation to return a value even when it has a null value as one of the pieces being concatenated.

• Thanks very much to all who responded. This solved my problem. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply