NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM login

• In SQL Server 2005, what is using or what is the purpose of the 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' login?

Thanks

• I presume SQL service is running under local system account? NT Authority\system is this account. various sql background services will run under this account (inc. SQLAgent)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• NT Authority\System and local system account are not the same. Local system account has high privileges on the machine. Avoid to use it. For more information and racommandation Have a look in 'Setting Up Windows Service Accounts' in BOL.

• I have all SQL Services running under a dedicated Active Directory user.  I would like to either remove the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM login or at least remove it from the sysadmin server role.  What would be the impact if I do either one?  I have already removed the Builtin\Administrator login from the server.  I do this to remove unauthorized access to the server.  I would like to do the same with NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  login for the same reason. 

Again, what would be the impact of deleting the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM login if all SQL Services are running under a dedicated Active Directory user?

• Difficult to say. But I would not remove this account . The Builtin\Administrator is not a user, but a group. This is different.

• The same question has come up in a previous post, http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=359&messageid=339254.

The short answer is that if none of your SQL Services are using this account it should be safe to remove it from SQL Server.

Regards

Stevo

PS. I have removed it from all my production SQL Servers and so far have not had any problems.

• We have removed both account from our systems and the only error we seem to get was from VSS, Volume Shadow Copy Service, not having access to perform its tasks using NT Authority\System. The servers appear to be running normally though.

• If you are going to use Full Text Catalogues you will need NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

• North Essex Guy (2/22/2008)

If you are going to use Full Text Catalogues you will need NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

I would have thought that that was only the case when the "SQL Server FullText Search" service was running as Local System. Further, that if it was running as a domain user account that the user account only was required as a sysadmin and not local system. I could however be wrong as I am only new to SQL Server and there is a lot to get my head around in a very short time

• Do not delete this account or remove it from the SYSADMIN fixed server role. The NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is used by Microsoft Update and by Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) to apply service packs and hotfixes to a SQL Server 2005 installation. The NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is also used by the SQL Writer Service. 🙂

Please refer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932881

• If you install SQL Server with Local System Account, the NT Authority\System Login is used for you SQL Server services. If not, you can remove it just like deleting BUILTIN\Administrators Login.

• And why on earth would I want to allow microsoft to update my production SQL Server for me. This sounds like an argument in favor of deleting this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply