NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE database role

• I have to use the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE for transactions from my .net app to the sqlfilestream on my sql server 2008 box.

Under logins I have to check db_owner or I get an error of permissions do not allow exec permissions on object dbo.MyTable or dbo.MyStoreprocedure.

Can someone tell me which options to choose for the, minimum database access in order to execute this filestream from my web server.

What is the min I can set to just do a stream ?

thanks

Dam again!

• Never mind.

I mapped the login to the desired database.

Under permission on the database I gave NT exec, insert, update permission and it works.

Dam again!

• Now that I am thinking about it...

I am finally able to grasp this flow of security and check points with-in the sql server instance. Only took 4 years, but who's counting? Guess it just takes a while to grip that.

Anyway, Is there a way to lock the exec, update for my NT permissions down the the stored procedure itself.

I looked at the spoc permissions and did not see the permissions that i needed.

Is there a way to isolate permissions for just a sproc?

thanks

Dam again!

• When you grant execute permissions to a procedure the user doesn't need permissions on the objects (tables/views) it self as long as the owner is same for procedures and objects.

If you need to control insert, update, delete, select using procedures create separate procedures and grant execute permissions on the selected procs only.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• HELP DELIMA ALERT !!!

When developing the app I was finally able to use filestream by setting nt authorityetwork in the logins and permissions on the correct database.

NOW,,, I have moved the app to a webserver and my database is no longer on my development box.

However, the webserver and the databaserver or both on the same network.

below is an example of the connection string that worked when iis and sql or on the same box

connectionString="Data Source=922.27.22.122;Initial Catalog=MyDatabaseHere;Integrated Security = true"

I am now getting an error of NT Authority\Anonymous login error.

How should my connection string look for iis on one box and sql on a separate box?

HELP!

Thanks

Dam again!

• Are your Production SQL Server and IIS in a domain? If not you cannot use trusted security; you'll have to use SQL Server Security.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

• HEY wait a minute,, do not go anywhere 😉

I am not in a domain just in WORKGROUP

Dam again!

• Right; because it is a workgroup there is no central account storage. You have two options ..

1) Use Windows User Impersonation (you'll have search Google, I read one article few years ago on how it can be done sorry I don't have the link).

2) Use SQL Server Authentication instead of windows.

So your connection string will become:

Data Source=myServerAddress;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

Ref: http://www.connectionstrings.com/sql-server-2008

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply