NT 4.0 Server Access

• Hi All,

I am not been able to Connect to NT 4.0 Servers having SQL Server Installed on it from my Machine.I have WIN 2000 Professional Client WIth SP4 Installed on it.I tried using RDC as well as VNC but its still giving the error.Even though the SA of NT Servers are Quiet sure that they have added me to the Server.What could be the Problem ?

Can any1 Please Help ?

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• What type of error are you receiving (e.g. 42000 login failed - usually bad username/password) Can you ping the SQL server ? Can you perform a telnet to port 1433 ? Is is a 'default' or a 'named' instance ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I Can Ping the Server.Th Error i am getting is as follows:-

The Client could not establish a connection to the remote Computer.
    The most likely causes for this error are:-
    1. Remote Connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    2. The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at remote computer.
    3. A network error occured while establishing the connection.

It is a default Instance.Yup i can perform a telnet to port 1433.

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• If you are conecting via a short servername try connecting via the fully qualified domain name. If this does not work try conencting IP address. If IP address works, then it's a DNS issue.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy,

I tried the Fully Qualified Server Name and IP Address also in place of the ServerName but its still showing me the same error Message.

But the biggest problem is I am able to Connect the Server from any other Machines.I compared all the services thats running on my machine as well as the machine from which i am getting the access to the server and both run the same services as well as have the same OS,SP and Other Softwares Installed.

What could be the Problem on my machine Cant figure it out????

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• OK, other computers can connect ... so it's just your computer then. Got it. Have you tried a connection from the ODBC connection manager ? Have you tried re-installing the client utilities ?

• Yup, But the problem is i am not able to connect the NT4.0 server from my machine i.e through VNC and RDC Neither.But I am able to connect this Server from any other Machine.I also tried connecting my hard Disk to some other machine and then tried to connect the Server NT4.0 but still the same Error.The Lan Guys are now saying to format the Hard Disk but I don't feel thats the Correct solution as i am not able to find out the Root Cause of the Problem.

Any Suggestions???

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• Silly question ... what is VNC and RDC ???

• What do you mean by silly Question????????

You dont know about VNC and RDC thats the Silly question you are asking.....

VNC and RDC are used to connect to the other servers from your machines Just like TS...

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Jeetendra

• I know of these OS provided utilities:

• TS = Termimal Services
    • RDP = Remote Desktop Connection
    • SMS = System Management Server

Other vendor utilities such as:

• PC-AnyWhere
    • Timbukto
    • Dameware

My question still stands ... what are:

• RDC = ???
    • VNC = ???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply