not able to connect sql server 2008

• hi all,

while try to connect ms sql server 2008 from remotely system using query analyzer (sql server 2000) it through error like:

unable to connect server hostname\msdbserver

server :Msg 17,level 16 ,state 1

[microsoft][ODBC sql server driver][BDNETLIB] sql server does not exists or access denied...

• Check if you are able to telnet the target SQL Server from the client machine.

You can check this by issueing this command on CMD on client machine:

telnet <TargetSQLServerIPAddress> <TargetSQLServerPortNumber>

Sujeet Singh

• you cannot connect to SQL2008 from SQL2000 tools. You need at least SQL2008 client tools

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (12/5/2011)

you cannot connect to SQL2008 from SQL2000 tools. You need at least SQL2008 client tools

We cannot register SQL Server 2008 servers in our SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager, but yes through SQL Server 2000 query analyzer we can connect to all versions to execute some query i.e. SQL Server 2000,2005 & 2008.

Sujeet Singh

• yes, I had a distant memory that was possible, so I tried it before replying to the OP, and oddly I got exactly the same error as the OP, so not sure whats going on there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Don't know whether the below useful or not, But if you need you can check from your end.

1.Are you punching the right server name\Instance Name for eg: you can try like this

<server1>\<Instance_Name>,1433(eg:port Number).

2.Identify whether the SQL server Browser is running on which you are trying to connect.

3.Identify whether the SQL server services are running fine & check for the Protocols B/w server and your desktop?

4.Check any firewall blocked or any recent modification has done the server which you are trying to connect?

5.What type of an Authentication mode you are using & check the server Authentication as well.

Also if you are using Windows ID then Identify whether the account has locked out & if you are part of any group check whether some one has been removed permissions etc..

6.Check whether the remote connections has enabled on the server which you are trying to connect.

7.Any thing which you have done recent modifications at your end Like Drivers etc....

Thanks,

Rama Udaya.K

ramaudaya.blogspot.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply