No Service Accounts in SQL Server 2005

• Hi everyone,

I'm desperately in need of help installing SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition here (on WinXP). I tried to follow the manual step-by-step. But one thing that I can't get it figured out, the manual says click on ADVANCED button and also after installing all the components, I should see the page where I can setup the Service Account. I don't see any of that.

It seems the installation is rather simple, it install all the components, check the machine configuration, ask for registration information, and feature selection.

On the feature selection, I only see the option to install client component, and documentation. Is this normal? I need to have the full installation database running on the development server, and it can't be client only. Shouldn't developer edition also installs the service? If not, what other edition I need to install? Thanks for your help.

• Just a thought - your 'server' runs XP - so it isn't a server.  You should either have 2000 Server or 2003 Server.  I'm thinking that its recognised this and installed the 'desktop' version.  Pretty sure its still functional as a developer server.

• The problem is I still can't install the database service, so I can't connect to a local database.

• Ok, since there aren't any more answers here's another thought (should be getting a copy of 05 soon though) - are you installing this as administrator - some user accounts don't have the permissions to do it (and usually say so).

Don't you have the service manager like in 2000?

• Admin rights, yes.

I'm doing a clean install on a new box. I wonder if doing an upgrade is easier.

• Hitting your head against a brick wall is probably the easiest.  I'll shut up now until I've tried it myself (installing 05 on xp - done plenty of the hitting head stuff!!).

• I have installed SQL 2005 standard & developer edition on an XP machine.  It was a pretty straight forward installation.  I don't have any answers for you but wanted to let you know that it should work.

John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply