No remote drives for restore is EM

• Hi

If you're using Enterprise Manager to do a "restore from device", when you select "Select Device" then "Add" and click on the "FileName" you can only navigate to local drives (in my case only my C:\ drive).

What if the file you want to restore is on a networked drive?

Do you have to use sp_addumpdevice from Query Analyser to add the drive first?

Cheers

Sam

I

• No, you don't have to create device first. Just choose the "From Device" and click the "Select Devices"  and type the file name by using UNC name.

• Does your SQL Server services have access to the network drive? Right click on the My Computer icon, select Manage, expand Services and find what the SQLServerAgent and MSSQLServer services run as. Are they Local System? If so, they won't be able to access the network drives. They will need to be Domain Accounts that have access.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for the responses guys.

I've changed that setting of my local SQL Service and it's all OK now.

A collegue however who has XP loaded cannot get EM to search the network even after giving her server network admin authority but I guess this is (yet another) XP problem.

Sam

• Does your friend have SP 2 installed on XP? If so, it might be due to SP 2 blocking TCP Port 1433 and UDP Port 1434.

Another issue might be the DNS server and name resolution. Have your friend open a command prompt (Start>Run, type cmd and click ok). At the prompt type PING servername where the servername is the name of the SQL Server. If that fails try PING ipaddress where ipaddress is for the SQL Server instance.

-SQLBill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply