Nightly refresh of Prod data to other location across slow connection

• Don't feel bad for jumping in. All of this is great help. The database backup is 40 GB compressed with native tools. Not sure of the size of the connection but it takes about 4 hours to copy the 40 GB. I am going to look into splitting the data but that is a longer term solution.

The problem with the differentials is that the Rate Of Change is very high due to a datamart refresh that happens each night. The differentials by the end of the week could be very large. It is possible that I could do differentials with a third party tool to decrease the size. Thanks

• sjs-36273 (1/10/2012)

Steve - I like where you are going with creating a snapshot of a mirror but isn't a snapshot read-only? How can I make it writeable? This is a perfect solution if it can be writeable. Thanks again for your help.

yes, sorry, I was thinking of something else. Again, my apologies, not sure where my brain is going today.

I think you're stuck with a backup/restore. If you can get a tool like SQL Backup Pro and Virtual Restore, I'd go that way. You can make the backups smaller, split until multiple files and transfer them across. Then save space on the restore. Red Gate has great tools, and there are a few other choices.

Disclosure: I do work for Red Gate.

The other problem with differentials is that you will be restoring the full every night + the latest diff. If that works, fine. Note that you can do this with Virtual Restore as well, reload the full and the latest diff.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply