Newbie Guides?

• I've literally just started using SSIS yesterday. This morning I managed to create a data flow (table - fuzzy lookup - table) which seemed to work ok, however, I don't really understand what I'm doing fully.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good guides for SSIS, also, how does SSIS integrate with T-SQL?

I currently do something in T-SQL which essentially performs a series of updates and deletes on a table. As an example how can I introduce this as an intermediate stage between OLE DB source and Fuzzy Lookup?

I'm not new to T-SQL, but I am new to SSIS - so, I guess I'm looking for a way to simply get some benefits from SSIS and see how it can be used with existing T-SQL knowledge, if at all!

• Professional "SQL Server 2005 Integration Services" is a good book from WROX to start with.

You can do your updates and deletes prior to the Fuzzy Lookup Data Flow on the Control Flow with Execute SQL Tasks.

Think of the ssis Data Flow as the Pipes that used to connect Sources and Destinations in DTS (if you ever used DTS).

bc

[font="Arial Narrow"]bc[/font]

• In addition to the books i would also recomend to check out the below article.

http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1503191

• bc (3/31/2009)

Professional "SQL Server 2005 Integration Services" is a good book from WROX to start with.

You can do your updates and deletes prior to the Fuzzy Lookup Data Flow on the Control Flow with Execute SQL Tasks.

Think of the ssis Data Flow as the Pipes that used to connect Sources and Destinations in DTS (if you ever used DTS).

bc

This is a greate book, but, my advice would be to get 2008 version because there has been few changes in SSIS, but the later version of the book has less errors in it as far as I can tell.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• SSIS is a Microsoft tool for implementing ETL tasks in

SQL Server 2005 and above. DTS was used in versions prior

to 2005 i.e from SQL Sever 7.0 to 2000.

However, SSIS is not limited to implementing ETL solutions alone.

It can be used to create Database maintenance packages and automate

any repetitive database related development tasks.

As regards using your T-SQL Code as an intermediate stage

between OLE DB and Fuzzy Lookup, see the OLE DB as gateway

to having access to the data you are trying to manipulate

in your T-SQL code, and to your Fuzzy Lookup.

Before you can manipulate data, you need to have access to the

data, so using OLE DB is just one way to connect to your data

depending on your data source.

There are numerous benefits to be derived from using SSIS

and these include:

Integrating data from heterogenous sources

Bundling up a multi-step solution as a unit

Automating repetitive tasks etc.

You can check Amazon for books on SSIS but SQL Server 2005 books online

is also a very good resource. I hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply