New Version of sqlserver

• Hi,

i am working in sqlserver2005 and i want to migrate to the newest version available.is Microsoft SQL Server 2012 available for development....?

Which version i should choose?

• 2012 is still in the release candidate stages, no RTM has yet to be released.

The latest official version is 2008 R2, if you can wait till July then 2012 should be released as RTM (if I remember from reading a few MS articles)

• SQL Server 2012 will be out in some days.

The latest version to date is SQL Server 2008 R2.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• If this is for your own purposes I would suggest you wait till the RTM is out for SQL 2012.

If you are asking for a project your working on or as part of the initial design for one I'd say:-

It depends on your project requirements.

I generally don't migrate to a new platform until the first Service pack is out. I'd like to be an early adopter but not at the risk of my project.

Cheers

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (2/29/2012)

SQL Server 2012 will be out in some days.

The marketing launch event is in a couple of days. Availability of the bits, probably not so much.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (2/29/2012)

The marketing launch event is in a couple of days. Availability of the bits, probably not so much.

End of March, I was told.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Should i wait to RTM(release to marketing) OR GA(General availability)?and how i will know that it is now available....i am a developer and i have its requirements

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

There's no official release date planned (and if there is, it's strictly NDA), so that's probably an educated guess at best.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

There's no official release date planned (and if there is, it's strictly NDA), so that's probably an educated guess at best.

It must be. I think it won't be much later than that.

-- Gianluca Sartori

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

From what I remember reading, they where looking at Q2 2012, so that means April/May/June, but that might of changed.

• anthony.green (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

From what I remember reading, they where looking at Q2 2012, so that means April/May/June, but that might of changed.

Should i wait to RTM(release to marketing) OR GA(General availability)?and how i will know that it is now available....i am a developer and i have its requirements

• Should i wait to RTM(release to marketing) OR GA(General availability)?and how i will know that it is now available....i am a developer and i have its requirements

Merely repeating your earlier post is an insult to the people who have been so kind as to offer their input. They have demonstrated their comprehension of your posts.

You have been given relevant information. Now use your powers of will and determination to use it to make the decision which is right for you.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Engr Shafiq (2/29/2012)

anthony.green (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

GilaMonster (2/29/2012)

Should i wait to RTM(release to marketing) OR GA(General availability)?and how i will know that it is now available....i am a developer and i have its requirements

Are you developing applications against the databases in SQL 2012 or will you be using it to get a heads up on the product?

If developing wait for the RTM as the RTM is general availability. If your wanting a heads up get the CTP but dont develop against it as things may change.

As for when it gets released, SSC are pretty good at knowing when stuff is released, so keep an eye on your daily newsletters and the weekly database weekly emails, they will tell you when it has been released, or keep your eye on microsoft.com for new products

• You would be best served to use SQL2008R2 SP1. It is stable and used by many, many companies. SQL2012 will be out soon but it is anyones best guess when it will be GA.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply