New login doesn't appear in Security > Logins folder

• I think my original login was DESKTOP-8J18OSS\micha which appears in the folder Security > Logins.  Then I changed the computer name to Virginia.  The top most value of the Object Explorer says:

VIRGINIA\SQLEXPRESS2017 (SQL Server 14.0.2027 - VIRGINIA\Michael)

Isn’t VIRGINIA\Michael the login name?  If so why doesn’t it appear in the Security > Logins folder?

Under the properties window I noticed that the connection is named VIRGINIA\Michael.

What is the value VIRGINIA\Michael?  Is it a login or a connection or both?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It is the login used by the connection to the instance. Renaming computers with SQL installed can require multiple steps to ensure that SQL is "synched" with the name change.

Have Fun!
    Ronzo

• Ronzo wrote:

It is the login used by the connection to the instance. Renaming computers with SQL installed can require multiple steps to ensure that SQL is "synched" with the name change.

Interesting.  I didn't know that a connection itself would need to use a login.  Thank you for the info.

• If you haven't already done so, you may want to read through this and follow any instructions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/rename-a-computer-that-hosts-a-stand-alone-instance-of-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017

• Blake,

I started reading that link.

sp_dropserver <old_name\instancename>;  
    GO
    sp_addserver <new_name\instancename>, local;
    GO

I just have a few issues.

1. In the code above, when they say old_name and new_name, does that mean the computer name or the server name?
    2. Also, how can I find my old computer name and my old instance name?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply