New drives added to the cluster is not being shown in restoring a database

• Hi All,

Please could you advise what to do when I'm trying to restore a copy of production database to an existing server with new clustered drives, I am not able to see the new drives.

One of the network team added the new drives and configure it into the clustered environment.

We have managed to add the new drives into "Add storage" and I am able to see it in the FailOver Cluster Management.

Still, the new drives are not being shown when restore is done in SQL. I was also given full rights to the new drives.

Did we miss to setup anything?

Thank you!

• The drives must be cluster resources and set as dependencies of the SQL group.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gila,

Sorry, I'm just new with this cluster thing ... could you possibly instruct me on how to do this?

Thank you.

• Afraid not, I'm not all that familiar with clustering other than the theory, and how to do it depends on the version of windows.

Ask the networking people. If they set the drive up in the cluster they must be familiar with how to make those kind of changes.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• We are all new actually, including the network team so we're stressed out with this!

Thanks again.

• Go read the docs then. There's lots of good cluster-related documentation (I know, I had to go searching when I first started working with clusters)

I don't have a cluster handy that I can use to walk you through it, I can't remember off the top of my head and I don't know what OS you're using anyway.

If you can see the drives in cluster admin then it's been added as a cluster resource already. All you have to do is add them as a dependency of the SQL resource group.

Gail Shaw

• Need to check the docs then ... 🙂

• If you're clicking "add storage" it's a windows 2008 cluster. The storage dependency is set at the resource level not the group. To modify the dependencies on the SQL server resource you must first take it offline in Failover Cluster manager.

➡ Find the SQL Server service resource and take it offline (will take agent down too)

➡ edit the properties of the resource and select Dependencies tab

➡ add any storage you require as a dependency, click OK and close all dialogs

➡ bring the clustered SQL Server Agent service resource back online (will automatically bring the sql service back online)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry,

Thank you for your detailed instruction! With experimentation on which resource to add it, I was able see now the drives in SQL ...

You made my day ... thank you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply