"Network-related or Instance specific error" when connecting through SSMS

• Since you can connect when you specify the port, I am thinking this isn't a firewall related issue.
    Have you tried restarting the SQL browser service?  I beleive (but could be mistaken) that you need to restart the browser service when you install a new instance.

If you have more than one instance on the remote machine, can you connect to any other instance on that machine by name only or only if you specify the port?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I know it has something to do with firewall because I just disabled the firewall and I was able to login. But when I turned it back on then no connection.

• bmg002 - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:42 PM

Since you can connect when you specify the port, I am thinking this isn't a firewall related issue.
    Have you tried restarting the SQL browser service?  I beleive (but could be mistaken) that you need to restart the browser service when you install a new instance.

If you have more than one instance on the remote machine, can you connect to any other instance on that machine by name only or only if you specify the port?

Could be other things but I wouldn't rule out firewall.
    What would happen if UDP 1434 was blocked?  Wouldn't you only be able to connect if you specified the port?
    Personally I would still check the ports at this point. It is pretty much the same issue as what is in this blog:
    SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Sue

• OH, my bad.  But, yay, progress!

SQL browser service (I believe) uses port 1434.  Do you have that port open in your firewall (as was suggested by Perry Whittle)?  Both TCP and UDP?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• bmg002 - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:02 PM

OH, my bad.  But, yay, progress!

SQL browser service (I believe) uses port 1434.  Do you have that port open in your firewall (as was suggested by Perry Whittle)?  Both TCP and UDP?

It just uses UDP 1434. That's the one mentioned in the link I posted as well.

Sue

• newdba2017 - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:55 PM

I know it has something to do with firewall because I just disabled the firewall and I was able to login. But when I turned it back on then no connection.

If you wanted to try using programs for the exceptions with Windows Firewall, you need to include sqlbrowser.exe. That one wasn't included before.

Sue

• bmg002Since you can connect when you specify the port, I am thinking this isn't a firewall related issue.

If you can only connect when specifying the instance port it's completely and highly likely a firewall issue!!

newdba2017

I know it has something to do with firewall because I just disabled the firewall and I was able to login. But when I turned it back on then no connection.

Never a doubt for me.

The inbound and outbound rules have to be configured.

After an incoming connection has queried the sql server browser the instance details are returned to the client over UDP 1434. If this traffic is blocked then no connection even though the initial incoming connection was serviced.

Btw windows firewall is total pants 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply