Network Performance issue??

• Greetings,

I have an odd problem that I am breaking my teeth on it since more than one month:

Simplified architecture:

- We have 2 1Go switches. Each server has 2 NIC and one card is connected to each switche. Each card is configured with a static IP and they are not teamed.

- SQL1 is a Dell with 12Go RAM 4-CPU and 900 GB drives.

- AD1 is our DC with a 3.5 TB Dell attached device. The attached device has many corporate files (Access, Excel, Doc, etc)

- APP1 is our application server that is connected by RemoteServer1 and RemoteServer2.

- Accounting1 is the same machine model than SQL1 but it is hosting an accounting COBOL based system. The drive has many corporate files (Access, Excel, Doc, etc).

The problem:

I am using different file transfer speed testing softwares. Those software are writing, reading, etc and give back a tranfert rate from the source and how many bytes/sec has been written/read on the target drive.

Any computer on the network (server/station) to SQL1 has an average 5Mbits/sec.

Any computer on the network to APP1, Accounting1, any other server, has over 10Mbits/sec.

Any computer on the network EXCEPT RemoveServer1 and RemoteServer2 to AD1 has an average 5Mbits/sec. RemoveServer1 and RemoteServer2 has an average of 20MBits/Sec.

AD1 or SQL1 to any computer on the network (Except RemoveServer1 and RemoteServer2) has an average 5Mbits/sec.

When I did my tests, I made sure network activity was at its minimum (during night when no user is there and I cancelled the backups).

Why SQL1 and AD1 are slow like that???? Why AD1 is fast with RemoteServer1 and RemoteServer2?

Any suggestion please? I am out of ideas....

Thank you

MBA

MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCITP, IBM DB2 Expert, I-Net+, CIW

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.

• Have you double checked your NIC settings and Switch port settings ?

Some NICs and Switches need 'auto' and others need a 'fixed' transfer rate set. Your hardware and Switch vendors should have this documented - if not a bit of googling may be in order.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply