Network libraries TCP/IP Named Pipes

• Shah_a

None of our servers have named pipes enabled, and we have no problem with failover.

• according to MSKB328383, we should see TCP

before NP in the SuperSocketNetLib regkey.

But in our Sql Sever 2000s, they are all

like:

LastConnect

Np

Tcp

VIA

We have the SQL Server 2K SP3 installed. Why

Np appears before Tcp?

Thanks!

-mtmingus

• ians,

thanks for your reply. I will check that out.

mtmingus:

Check the value for protocolorder under supersocketnetlib key. It would should tcp np

• Figured I would touch base since this topic had a lot of volume.

I changed the priority boost, and set working set size options to 0 (zero) and we have not had the problem since. We have the Central Instance and SQL Server on the same node...Bad I know!!

Oddly though, 50-60% of the connections are coming through Named Pipes. TCP/IP is the first choice. My feeling is that we are having a network issue, which means, that I will have to argue tooth and nail with my network guys... Ahhh, the life of a DBA 🙂

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• It may/not be relevant to you as you stated that your instance was receiving a mixture of connections, but to pick up on one of the replies about checking what SQL is listening on... Check out Q307197. I've had this happen on one of my clusters several times. A re-boot of that node sorts it out.

• Quick question.

When you changed to the new area did you change the network segment? I know that network traffic works best "named pipe" over WAN and between physical locations connected via DS3 etc...

Is it possible that this has occurred OR that the users have been pushed onto another connection?

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Revenue Assurance Management - AT&T

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I am having a similar problems with new configured cluster (Active/Active configuration). During each installation of SQL 2000 I specified installing TCP/IP only. One on of the virtual servers, only TCP/IP in viewable in the SQL Server network properties. On the other, Named Pipes and TCP/IP are installed.

I tried to remove the Named Pipes and it won't let me. As soon as I select it, the Disable button gets grayed out. I search MS and haven't been able to find anything.

Running Windows 2003, SQL 2000 SP3 cluster with two SQL Virtual Servers installed. Failover does not seem to be an issue. No clients are currently connecting.

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply