NetBackup Log backup interfer with existing SQL Server Log Backups?

• I am trying to figure out a way of running Netbackup jobs in parallel with existing SQL Server jobs.

If I have 3 Netbackup jobs, Full Backup, Diff, and Log, and I am truncating the log on each Netbackup job, that will mess up the SQL Server LSNs for the Native SQL Log Backups.

1. Do you agree?

I'm not sure if doing 2 FULL backups, the first being the Native SQL Full backup and the second being the NetBackup SQL Full.

Is it possible to run both SQL Native backups and NetBackup dbbackexe.exe?

Here is an example of using NetBackup from within a CmdExec step of a SQL Agent Job.

"C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\dbbackex.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\DbExt\MsSql\ALLDBsTran.bch" -p SQL-Server-Default -np

• I'm not sure I understand why you need to do both backups? What is the situation that you are trying to solve by having to do both native and NetBackups backups?

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yes it will interfere.

I strongly recommend you do one set of backups with one technology. Do all your backups natively or do them all through a 3rd person. At best mixing backups will make recovery paths more complex.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes,

I'm thinking it is an either-or situation. I wanted to run Netbackup backups in parallel with the old SQL Native backups, but that is impossible.

I will just have to do extensive testing before deploying them to production. I was tasked to implement a netbackup solution for all SQL Server databases. My comfort zone is SQL Native, so relying on this new way is a bit unsettling.

On the plus side, I am writing some great scripts to do all of this, that part is exciting. :w00t:

Backing up isn't any trouble; it is recovering that worries me.

Other challenges are:

Backing up clustered instances

Backing up Mirrored databases

Backing up Log Shipped databases

I'm reading the Netbackup guide for SQL Server and there are sections for all of this. Just getting the basics down now with lots and lots of testing. I also have to train the other DBAs and Developers (T&D).

• Well you could use the copy-only option with your native backups until you feel comfortable with the NetBackups. Here is a link on copy only backups: http://bit.ly/181yi6y

It won't be the same as your current backup process and you won't be able to do a point-in-time restore, but it could act as a safety net just in case.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• alanspeckman (10/21/2013)

Backing up Log Shipped databases

Do not take other log backups of a log shipped DB or you will break the log shipping

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Great idea Keith, I totally forgot about that.

Gila, I just read that earlier this morning on page 96, "check for log shipping" of Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring, Rober L. Davis and Ken Simmons.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply