Need to track logins to all databases

• mark.dickinson (6/18/2015)

Michael L John (6/17/2015)

Sorry, I saw this post and ran out the door after I published the code.......

3. I don't think Database name is part of the EventData Function. Try this:

EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)[1]', 'varchar(256)'),

Thanks Michael. Tried, but ObjectName comes up NULL.

Appreciate the help though!

Ok, in the DDL auditing trigger I have in place, this line is working:

DECLARE @DatabaseName varchar(256) = EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/DatabaseName)[1]', 'varchar(256)')

That being said, the events in this trigger are all DDL events. I do not think that it's a part of the logon event.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213611.aspx

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• i think a logon trigger is the wrong device in this case.I don't think the database named in a connection string has much relevance.

i think the OP is really looking for "who touched my databases"

the login is a single event, which can return the default value of the database that occurs in the connection string; if create a new SSMS window, that's master for example.

when i change my database context or use a three part name for DatabaseName.Schema.Table, that's completely not tracked in a server logon trigger.

so that's potentially hundreds of commands i cna run, against all my database,s and the logon trigger only shows master.

i'd consider using extended events to audit queries instead. alternatively you might go witha server side trace,.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Michael L John (6/18/2015)

mark.dickinson (6/18/2015)

Michael L John (6/17/2015)

Sorry, I saw this post and ran out the door after I published the code.......

3. I don't think Database name is part of the EventData Function. Try this:

EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)[1]', 'varchar(256)'),

Thanks Michael. Tried, but ObjectName comes up NULL.

Appreciate the help though!

Ok, in the DDL auditing trigger I have in place, this line is working:

DECLARE @DatabaseName varchar(256) = EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/DatabaseName)[1]', 'varchar(256)')

That being said, the events in this trigger are all DDL events. I do not think that it's a part of the logon event.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213611.aspx

I tried it like this...

CREATE TRIGGER [Server_Logon_Trigger]

ON ALL SERVER WITH EXECUTE AS 'sa'

FOR LOGON

AS

INSERT INTO master.dbo.Server_Logon_History(EventType, PostTime, LoginName, ClientHost, DatabaseName)

SELECT EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType)[1]', 'nvarchar(100)'),

EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/PostTime)[1]', 'datetime'),

EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/LoginName)[1]', 'nvarchar(512)'),

EVENTDATA().value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ClientHost)[1]', 'nvarchar(512)'),

GO

...but it did not like the placement of the DECLARE and would not create the trigger. I moved the DECLARE line above the INSERT and put the DatabaseName line back as it was, which allows the trigger to create but changes nothing in the results.

I assume I am not placing the line into the correct location in the trigger create script.

• Lowell (6/18/2015)

i think a logon trigger is the wrong device in this case.I don't think the database named in a connection string has much relevance.

the login is a single event, which can return the default value of the database that occurs in the connection string; if create a new SSMS window, that's master for example.

when i change my database context or use a three part name for DatabaseName.Schema.Table, that's completely not tracked in a server logon trigger.

so that's potentially hundreds of commands i cna run, against all my database,s and the logon trigger only shows master.

i'd consider using extended events to audit queries instead. alternatively you might go witha server side trace,.

Actually, it's just the opposite. I already know who can and cant touch the databases on this SQL instance. I am mostly concerned with 'if' a database is being touched, so, if out of 35 databases, I see 4 have not been logged into in over a month, I can look into deleting them.

• mark.dickinson (6/18/2015)

Lowell (6/18/2015)

i think a logon trigger is the wrong device in this case.I don't think the database named in a connection string has much relevance.

Actually, it's just the opposite. I already know who can and cant touch the databases on this SQL instance. I am mostly concerned with 'if' a database is being touched, so, if out of 35 databases, I see 4 have not been logged into in over a month, I can look into deleting them.

ok, to a degree, you can get some of that data from the index stats, but the stats are only good from when the server was last restarted to the current time.

i use this as a procedure to get last accessed information;databases that are set to read only don't show up on this list, since their indexes don't update.

something like this as a scheduled job, which logs to a table intermittently, might be easier to implement.

--based on the ideas from

--http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2008/05/06/when-was-my-database-table-last-accessed.aspx

;WITH AllDatabases

AS

(

SELECT database_id,name AS TheDatabase from master.sys.databases WHERE name NOT IN('master','tempdb','model','msdb')

),

myCTE

AS

(

SELECT

AllDatabases.TheDatabase,

statz.last_user_seek,

statz.last_user_scan,

statz.last_user_lookup,

statz.last_user_update

FROM AllDatabases

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats statz

ON AllDatabases.database_id = statz.database_id

)

SELECT

ServerRestartedDate = (SELECT CREATE_DATE FROM sys.databases where name='tempdb'),

x.TheDatabase,

MAX(x.last_read) AS last_read,

MAX(x.last_write) AS last_write

FROM

(

SELECT TheDatabase,last_user_seek AS last_read, NULL AS last_write FROM myCTE

UNION ALL

SELECT TheDatabase,last_user_scan, NULL FROM myCTE

UNION ALL

SELECT TheDatabase,last_user_lookup, NULL FROM myCTE

UNION ALL

SELECT TheDatabase,NULL, last_user_update FROM myCTE

) AS x

GROUP BY TheDatabase

ORDER BY TheDatabase

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I may end up going that route, Lowell. Thanks.

As an aside, this is the Oracle code I'm essentially trying to emulate...

create or replace trigger tr_logon

begin

If user not in ('SYS','SYSTEM','SYSMAN') then

Update log_trail set TIME = sysdate where NAME = user;

If sql%rowcount = 0 then

Insert into log_trail values(user,sysdate,'LOGON');

End if;

Commit;

End if;

end tr_logon;

I end up with the most recent login to every schema/database in the instance. Makes it easy to know which are or are not actively used.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply