Need to schedule a job that runs on all databases in an instance

• Hi All,

I need to schedule a job which captures some database size related info and inserts into a table.I modified sp_spaceused and executed on all databases .This works fine when I am running the below sql but the job fails whenever new database is added to the instance because I haven't created an sp on that database. Is there a way to notify our dba team when ever a new database is created so that I can create an sp on that database?

Here is the sql:

DECLARE @SQL nVARCHAR(1000)

DECLARE @DB sysname

DECLARE curDB CURSOR FORWARD_ONLY STATIC FOR

SELECT [name]

FROM master..sysdatabases

WHERE [name] NOT IN ('model', 'tempdb','master','msdb')

ORDER BY [name]

OPEN curDB

FETCH NEXT FROM curDB INTO @DB

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SELECT @SQL = 'USE [' + @DB +']' + CHAR(13) + 'exec dbo.databasesize' + CHAR(13)

INSERT INTO performance_unit.dbo.Database_Size

exec (@SQL)

FETCH NEXT FROM curDB INTO @DB

END

CLOSE curDB

deallocate curDB

Thanks,

Swetha

• Use the DDL Trigger functionality:

CREATE TRIGGER ddl_trig_database

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

--Add here code to notify dba team.

GO

• That trigger is def a good idea :). Another option you have is since the stored procedure is required in each database; why not add it to the MODEL database?

Since each database is a template of model; you get your work completed for you without any headach later :).

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Mohit (3/5/2009)

That trigger is def a good idea :). Another option you have is since the stored procedure is required in each database; why not add it to the MODEL database?

Since each database is a template of model; you get your work completed for you without any headach later :).

Heh... yeah... except when you're trying to create a database without all the stuff. I'll be back...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Obviously I don't know what's in your databasesize proc, but it should be possible to havce a single copy of that in the performance_unit (where you're writing the stats). With a bit of minor re-coding it should be able to include the logic from both the existing command and the code you've posted, then the job becomes a simple call to that one procedure.

That's the way we've done it for our systems anyway, and you'd have to be doing something very different for it not to work on your system.

• Jeff Moden (3/5/2009)

Mohit (3/5/2009)

That trigger is def a good idea :). Another option you have is since the stored procedure is required in each database; why not add it to the MODEL database?

Heh... yeah... except when you're trying to create a database without all the stuff. I'll be back...

Heh :p I wouldn't put the entire world in Model; well I might LOL. I get lazy fast heh, like this article I am trying to finish lol. What did I get myself into; writing article is alot more work then I though originally ^^.

To be serious for a sec, in Model databases; only thing i needed to create in my model database was a custom type. Because this application which is split across 4 databases use temp db with that type. So I kept running into issues without that type. In your opinion Jeff when will you consider making changes to MODEL so it can be in each database? I guess another change I have made is with mode on my DEV/TEST servers is made sure the Recovery Model is SIMPLE because point-in-time recovery is not needed there.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Thanks all . I created a DDL trigger and my problem is resolved

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply