Need to get 1 row/record

• I've got table with thousands of records, and like to have for each asset 1 record returned (Most recent record)

Every asset is sending data every 3 hours to this table and I would like to get the most recent record returned.

I've got logdate time column however if I use Max (logdatetime) it returns every record for that machine.

I've used sub query where I first find the most recent record for particular asset, and then use WHERE clausule to return

the other columns from that table, that does not work.

Sample query I used

select CompName, JobName, LoggedOnUser, Status, IPSubnetSiteDesc, logDateTime from tblSample (NOLOCK)

where logDateTime IN (SELECT MAX(logdatetime) from tblSample (NOLOCK)

where CompName = 'DIMP126'

group by compname)

this returns 2 records, it makes sense if another record has same logdate time.

this table contains info about 100,000 assets and I like to have the most recent info for each asset.

any idea or suggestion are welcome.

• I take it that the CompName column contains the name of the asset? If so, just remove the WHERE clause - you want to return data for all assets, not just the one specified in your query.

John

Edit: Actually, you want something like this:

select CompName, JobName, LoggedOnUser, Status, IPSubnetSiteDesc, logDateTime from tblSample s

JOIN (SELECT CompName, MAX(logdatetime) from tblSample

group by compname) m

ON m.logdatetime = s.logdatetime

AND m.CompName = s.CompName

Oh, and don't use NOLOCK in production code unless you don't mind getting inaccurate results.

• Hi John,

thx for the quick response, that did the trick.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply