need to find the trend how employee makes sales every month

• Hi,

I need a help!

How do I find sales trend of an employee via comparing current month and previous month sales?

I got so far query upto following,

;WITH SalesOrderHeader As

(

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY SUM(H.SUBTOTAL)) AS ROWNUMBER, SUM(H.SUBTOTAL),H.SALESPERSONID,

MONTH(H.SHIPDATE) AS SALES_MONTH, YEAR(H.SHIPDATE) AS SALES_YEAR,SUM(H.SUBTOTAL) TOTAL_SALES_MONTH

FROM SALES.SalesOrderHeader H

WHERE YEAR(H.SHIPDATE)=2006 AND H.SalesPersonID IS NOT NULL

GROUP BY H.SalesPersonID, MONTH(H.ShipDate),YEAR(H.SHIPDATE) ORDER BY H.SalesPersonID,SALES_MONTH

)

SELECT CUR.TOTAL_SALES_MONTH, CUR.TOTAL_SALES_MONTH-PREVIOUS.TOTAL_SALES_MONTH

FROM SalesOrderHeader CUR

LEFT OUTER JOIN SALESORDERHEADER PREVIOUS

ON CUR.ROWNUMBER=PREVIOUS.ROWNUMBER+1

I am getting following error:

The ORDER BY clause is invalid in views, inline functions, derived tables, subqueries, and common table expressions, unless TOP, OFFSET or FOR XML is also specified.

please share your idea!

• You need to partion by salesperson in the OVER clause in the CTE and thro away the order statement, and then add CUR.salespersonid = previous.salespersonid to the ON clause in the main query. You may also want to add CUR. salespersonid and CUR.sales_month (and perhaps some more) to the select list for the join, and add an order clause after the join condition.

Tom

• Thanks for your help.

• You can actually do this without the self join. Since you haven't provided sample data, I can't readily do a performance comparison.

;WITH SalesOrderHeader As

(

SELECT H.SALESPERSONID,

MONTH(H.SHIPDATE) AS SALES_MONTH,

YEAR(H.SHIPDATE) AS SALES_YEAR,

SUM(H.SUBTOTAL) TOTAL_SALES_MONTH

FROM SALES.SalesOrderHeader H

WHERE YEAR(H.SHIPDATE)=2006 AND H.SalesPersonID IS NOT NULL

GROUP BY H.SalesPersonID, MONTH(H.ShipDate),YEAR(H.SHIPDATE)

)

SELECT CUR.TOTAL_SALES_MONTH,

CUR.TOTAL_SALES_MONTH - LAG(CUR.TOTAL_SALES_MONH, 1) OVER(PARTITION BY CUR.SalesPersonID ORDER BY CUR.SALES_YEAR, CUR.SALES_MONTH)

FROM SalesOrderHeader CUR

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply