Need to add new subsciber database with different tables replication

• I have Server A with Database X replicated some tables 1, 2, 3,4 to Server B with transaction replication.

now i got the request with same server B but a new database Y to replicate other tables 5,6,7,8 from Database X.

Can anyone suggest me how to do it.

• With a different database, you will need to create a new publication and a new subscription.

If they need it to be more real time, you will likely need to do transactional replication.

If they are ok with it being up to a day old, then you could snapshot the publication. Another option in this case would be to create an SSIS package that moved the data daily.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I will be using transactional replication since they need up to date.

Here the publisher database is same but the additional new subscriber database is required with different tables replicated from same publisher database.

Is there any way we can use same publisher and just create new subscriber and replicate other tables on secondary server.

• With the same publisher database - sure that is possible. But, that means that both subscriber databases would get all of the tables (if you use the same publication).

The real question should be, why do they need to have a separate database with these additional tables on this other server? If they can't come up with significant reason that would make it more beneficial to have two databases rather than one, then maybe you propose that they use the same database on this other database for both sets of tables.

Learn Extended Events

• First subscriber database will be used by HR team and the new subscriber database will be used by Finance team. So 2 different teams will be using the different databases.

So you suggest create new publisher and new subscriber for the 2nd subscriber replication with different tables?

• Its better to manage using another subscription as it helps better in managing and future troubleshooting with out hampering other department's data availability .

Keep the factor of Data size for replication and how often they need the data .

• p.swathi4 (2/24/2014)

First subscriber database will be used by HR team and the new subscriber database will be used by Finance team. So 2 different teams will be using the different databases.

So you suggest create new publisher and new subscriber for the 2nd subscriber replication with different tables?

Personally, with that information I don't see enough reason to split them into different databases. You can keep the data from the two departments in two subscriptions going to the same database without impacting each other (not any more or less than different databases). You can secure the data to keep departments from viewing each others data.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply