Need specifications for the new server setup ?

• Dear Experts,

We are going to plan for a new SQL 2005 db server setup and application as well.

Can any one please suggest me the specifications configuration to support a Strong DB Server which never and ever lets down in performance wise and the timeout errors.

Database : 30 Gb - globalised

Users : 1500 - users in 24 hrs (Might increase )

64Bit SQL Server 2005.

The above info is of initial. Please let me know as this is very urgent for us to submit the info to our client...

Thanks,

CH&HU

• 30 Gig is a small size database meaning you shouldn't see backend performance issues providing data modeling and physical implementation are reasonable well done. Most of your performance issues are gonna come most probably from the application side.

Either way...

...Is it for OLTP or DSS applicaiton?

...How many concurrent users?

...Transaction size?

...Replication?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Its OLTP Application.

We do plan for Replication or Log shipping.

Concurrent users will be 300 everytime.

DB Size is of 30 GB initially and we are going to load other data as well. by this it will reach to 140 GB hope so..

Its to setup for production environment.

• Can anyone have a look into this and help me ???

• It is really hard to give specific advice as lot of the answers really depend on what you are using the database for, how the application code has been written and what the budget of your client is.

• Not a big problem for budget but it must suits for BEST.

Only single application with 6 databases will be loaded on the server. Applicatio runs under SharePoint 2003 / 2007

Thanks,

CH&HU.

• CH&HU (3/20/2009)

Not a big problem for budget but it must suits for BEST.

You just answered you question, call a couple of hardware vendors and ask for the BEST they can offer 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply