Need some DBA instruction

• About six hours ago I became the admin of a 9.2 box running on an IBM 550 AIX box and I have almost zero experience with Oracle, absolutely zero with being an Oracle DBA. I have the Oracle Press Oracle 9i DBA Handbook by Loney and Theriault. And the guy who who was the admin is no longer working here as of about 2.5 hours ago, at least I got system passwords.

My database is not a production DB, it's our old ERP system that is used only for lookup, so I would think that I shouldn't have too much of a problem letting this box tick away. Does anyone have any recommendations what chapters would be most apropos to getting me minimally conversant with the system? I need to be confident that the system is running well and the database is clean.

Actually, let me start with a more basic question: is 9.2 the same as 9i? I'm not familiar with Oracle version lineage and it would really suck if I learned my book was inappropriate for the version that we're running.

And if you can recommend a more appropriate book, that'd be great! We're not going to do new development on this box, it's just going to sit there as an info lookup source until we decide we can shut it down, reformat the box, and send it off to auction.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Yes 9.2 is 9i - thats just the patch version of 9i its currently on.

Not sure on the book you have sorry.

We have nearly migrated all our databases to 10g but some things i would read/check on the system would be:

Backup & Recovery :-

Cold backups or Online Backups

Do you use RMAN to perform the back or some other tool? (RMAN = Recovery Manager)

Archive Log Mode?

Control Files and Locations - make sure you have a backup of at least one of these .ctl files. Check whether the database is started using a pfile or spfile. Run the below query - see what the location of the file is.. backup this also!

SQL> show parameter spfile

NAME TYPE VALUE

------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------

spfile string E:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\DB_1 DATABASE\SPFILESPLIVE.ORA

If you have any other specific queries please let me know, as long as its working - the backups are running and the box its running on doesnt have any critical alerts in the log then you should be ok...

Oraculum

• Hi,

Go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/oracle9i.html and download the documentation and use the "Getting Started" page. Costs nothing and comes from the people who made the system;)

James

• Yep like having a whole book with chapters and everything!

Oraculum

• Hi

There are no big difference between 9.2 and 9i.

i am not sure what kind of back-ground you have but to start with you need to first understand SQL..PL/SQL...and the go tyo the administration section to master it.

Please give us more information about your back-ground to guide in right direction.

Thanks -- Vj

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

http://oravj.blogspot.com

• Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not replying, holiday insanity and illness have me somewhat backlogged.

My background: 25 years database design/implementation, 15 years experience SQL Server development and administration. I took an intro to Oracle a number of years ago but never used it, and it never got into the admin job, so that knowledge is largely useless. The server has a number of cron jobs that seem to be backing up, but I haven't dug in deep enough to confirm the backups are good. I need to make that a priority on my list.

I'm assuming Oracle has something like a DBCC? Is there a concise way to view their result files to make sure your database is in a consistent state?

Oh, and I also get to learn AS/400, and that ten year old box is a production system! Fortunately 400s tend to be rather bullet-proof once they're up and running.

James, thank you VERY much for the URL! Definitely bookmarked!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Vijaya Kadiyala (1/8/2009)

There are no big difference between 9.2 and 9i.

Well... there is a reason for it, Oracle 9.2.* is nothing but Oracle 9i ... so you may expect them to be once and the same. 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply