Need help with a sub-query

• I have a SQL 2000 database used for reporting. The data is extracted nightly from another database. The report writers have requested another table to 'flatten' a table to return a Y or N depending on the condition code.

An example:

ID LINE COND_CODE

123 1 10

123 2 A3

123 3 61

345 1 18

456 1 61

789 1 10

789 2 18

789 3 A3

What I need is this:

ID OUTLIER

123 Y

345 N

456 Y

789 N

The logic behind the request is that if there are at least one COND_CODE = 61 for an ID, flag as Y else flag as N.

I suspect I will need to insert this into a table and set up a job to do this after the data has been updated after the nightly load but if there are better ways to do this, I'm open for suggestions.

Sorry to ask such a simple question but I just don't get what I need to do to load this new table.

Thanks for any advice,

Norman

• First of all for all your future posts, read this article http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/61539/[/url]. This makes us save a lot of time generating table and insert scripts.

IF ( OBJECT_ID( 'tempdb..#SomeTable' ) IS NOT NULL )

DROP TABLE #SomeTable

CREATE TABLE #SomeTable

(

[ID] INT NOT NULL,

LINE TINYINT NOT NULL,

COND_CODE VARCHAR(2) NOT NULL

)

INSERT #SomeTable( ID, LINE, COND_CODE )

SELECT 123, 1, '10'

UNION ALL

SELECT 123, 2, 'A3'

UNION ALL

SELECT 123, 3, '61'

UNION ALL

SELECT 345, 1, '18'

UNION ALL

SELECT 456, 1, '61'

UNION ALL

SELECT 789, 1, '10'

UNION ALL

SELECT 789, 2, '18'

UNION ALL

SELECT 789, 3, 'A3'

SELECT [ID], MAX( CASE WHEN COND_CODE = '61' THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N' END ) AS OUTLIER

FROM #SomeTable

GROUP BY [ID]

--Ramesh

• Thank you Ramesh, this looks like it will work just like I needed. And a thank you for pointing me to the correct way to post. I apologize for taking up your time.

Norman

• You are welcome.., no problem this time but make sure it doesn't happen next time

--Ramesh

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply