Need help on creating a logic between week number & month

• Hi experts,

Can anyone help me to create the logic that I need??

Logic --->If a month changes in week, then week volume should be attributed to month with more no of days in that week.

Now the table structure is like below

Table Columns :ClientProjectName, ID,week1(volume),week2,week3....week35

ABC 1 20 30 15 54

BCD 2 35 22 10 18

Need to change like this with the logic that I mentioned before:

ClientProjectName, ID, week, month ,Volume

ABC 1 1 1 20

ABC 1 2 1 30

So my question is how can I get month number based on the week numbers and how to implement the logic that I mentioned above.

Thanks a lot

Ausitn

• caojunhe24 (1/13/2016)

Hi experts,

Can anyone help me to create the logic that I need??

Logic --->If a month changes in week, then week volume should be attributed to month with more no of days in that week.

Now the table structure is like below

Table Columns :ClientProjectName, ID,week1(volume),week2,week3....week35

ABC 1 20 30 15 54

BCD 2 35 22 10 18

Need to change like this with the logic that I mentioned before:

ClientProjectName, ID, week, month ,Volume

ABC 1 1 1 20

ABC 1 2 1 30

So my question is how can I get month number based on the week numbers and how to implement the logic that I mentioned above.

Thanks a lot

Ausitn

I would suggest that you build yourself a calendar table (there are lots of good ones available on the web if you search) and also add a child table for your requirement that tracks attributes at the week-level. Here is a basic working example of what I mean:

create table dbo.calendar

(

date_full date not null,

date_year smallint not null,

date_day tinyint not null,

date_month tinyint not null,

day_in_year tinyint not null,

week_number_in_year tinyint not null -- e.g. 1-52

); -- unique constraint on date_year & week_number_in_year

create table dbo.calendar_week

(

date_year smallint not null,

week_number_in_year tinyint not null, -- e.g. 1-52

date_month tinyint not null -- e.g. 1-12 -- this is where you would attribute the week to a month based on how many days of that week were in each month

); -- foreign key constraint on date_year & week_number_in_year referencing dbo.calendar

Most folks providing calendar table online will provide the code to pre-populate them for any number of years into the past and future. You will need to write the logic to pre-populate the week-table (dbo.calendar_week above) based on your business logic on how to assign each week to a given month. Once you have these table populated you can refer to them again and again and never have to calculate the data on the fly.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• That's my question.

how many days of that week were in each month? How to write a code to implement this code

• implement this logic*

• DECLARE @days TABLE (dt date not null primary key);

DECLARE @dt date;

SET @dt = '20160101';

WHILE @dt < '20170101'

BEGIN

INSERT into @days VALUES (@dt);

SET @dt = DATEADD(DAY,1,@dt);

END

SELECT DATEPART(MONTH,dt) MonthNbr, DATEPART(week,dt) WeekNbr, MIN(dt) MinDT, MAX(dt) MaxDT, COUNT(*) Days

FROM @days

GROUP BY DATEPART(MONTH,dt), DATEPART(week,dt)

;

• Bill Talada (1/14/2016)

DECLARE @days TABLE (dt date not null primary key);

DECLARE @dt date;

SET @dt = '20160101';

WHILE @dt < '20170101'

BEGIN

END

SELECT DATEPART(MONTH,dt) MonthNbr, DATEPART(week,dt) WeekNbr, MIN(dt) MinDT, MAX(dt) MaxDT, COUNT(*) Days

FROM @days

;

I think the OP needs each week only represented once in the results, attributed to a single month.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I think the OP should go with a calendar table. I did take it 90% of the way to show him how to manipulate dates. His implementation will likely vary greatly. I prefer to teach principles rather than code up a whole solution. In any case here is the final summary he might want:

DECLARE @dt date;

SET @dt = '20160101';

WHILE @dt < '20170101'

BEGIN

END

FROM @days

;

SELECT *

from

(

FROM @days

) x

WHERE x.Days > 3

;

• Bill Talada (1/14/2016)

I think the OP should go with a calendar table. I did take it 90% of the way to show him how to manipulate dates. His implementation will likely vary greatly. I prefer to teach principles rather than code up a whole solution. In any case here is the final summary he might want:

DECLARE @dt date;

SET @dt = '20160101';

WHILE @dt < '20170101'

BEGIN

END

FROM @days

;

SELECT *

from

(

FROM @days

) x

WHERE x.Days > 3

;

I do as well which is why I recommended the calendar table. I think your second attempt is still missing something. Week 10 start and end dates are 2016-03-01 and 2016-03-05 and I think they should be 2016-02-28 and 2016-03-05.

--Plato

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply