Need Help - Manually uninstalling Sql Server 2000

• I have Sql Server 2000 installed on a Windows 2003 Server. Some how my files are corrupted and I want to 'Completely' uninstall and re-install Sql. The Add & Remove program fails becuase it cannot find the uninstaller program. So I tried to follow Microsoft's Technet Article to manually remove the MSSQL\binn directory but some of the DLL's cannot be removed "access denied" errors.   Has anyone had this problem before?   Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

• To Fix my own problem - I Went into the registry and deleted all instances of Sql: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

Then I rebooted the Server, deleted the files and reinstalled Sql Server.

Now I am trying to launch the  import/export wizard from the program directory and I am getting the following  DTS ERROR:

Error Source: Microsoft OLEDB Provider for SqlServer

Error Description: [DBNETLIB] {Connection open [connect()],] sql server does not exist or access denied.

Context: error during initalization of the provider.     

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

• There are probably still some left over keys in the registry. My advice on your original post was to be to try and install over the top of the existing installation, then remove that and re-install.

Now I`m not sure, you could try an uninstall, then run a registry cleaner, and re-install again.

"Don`t try to engage my enthusiasm, I don`t have one."

(Marvin)

• Here's the link that you need:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q290991

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply