Need help. Find matchng Substring

• Friends

Bit confused query for me. Dunno how to ask correctly.

I have two tables. One with only one column with DocumentNo. (around 6000 records)

Another table with many columns. One of those is with a long sentence which may contain one of those documentno from table1. This DocumentNo may appear anywhere in that text in Table2. (Table2 has 100s of 1000s of records)

How do I extract all records from Table2 that contains these document nos from Table1?

• SELECT T1.DocumentNo, T2.LongSentence

FROM Table2 T2

INNER JOIN Table1 T1 ON T2.LongSentence LIKE '%' + T1.DocumentNo + '%'

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Thank you

Refreshed my mind and helped a lot

Appreciate it.

• You will  need to test, but using PATINDEX *might* give you slightly better performance.

SELECT T1.DocumentNo, T2.LongSentence
    FROM Table2 T2
    INNER JOIN Table1 T1 ON PATINDEX('%' + T1.DocumentNo + '%', T2.LongSentence) > 0

Note, that since you can't create an index to assist with a wildcard search, both of these queries are going to be slow.

• On the subject of "performance", trailing and mid-string lookups are terrible.  If you have to do this more than once, consider another method especially if the data is relatively static.  For example, FULL TEXT lookups or a homegrown version of that can provide a huge benefit.  A homegrown version might simply pre-split the data and memorize the PK and the document numbers into a single "vertical" table (Name Value Pair (NVP) or Entity Attribute Value (EAV... big brother of NVP).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply