Need Expert help to find the best fit licensing for production sql server box

• Need Expert help to find the best fit licensing for production sql server box

We are going to purchase a new sql server 2008 R2, to install on a cloud platform. There we have provision to scale up processor from 1 to 8 at anytime.

I am very confused with Microsoft licensing policy (per processor /per Cal/ per device).Our web application is connected with sql server using a single sql server login. Microsoft suggests to purchase per processor license for all web application.

Can I use per call or user licensing for web application ( for example my application only need 3 logins, all these logins would be shared by web application users, even we have 100000 users at a time.)

So. My question is can I purchase a sql server edition with 5 cal license to use as a web application where we are expecting 1000 connections though iis web server using one sql server login??

Is it really necessary to purchase sqlserver by per processor licensing for this?

If am purchased a sql server with 2 processor license, is it possible to purchase an additional processor license later?

Which sqlserver edition is best suited to this scenario. Enterprise, Standard or Web?

Hope you understand my problem.

Thanks in advice.

• anuraj2k (7/14/2011)

Can I use per call or user licensing for web application ( for example my application only need 3 logins, all these logins would be shared by web application users, even we have 100000 users at a time.)

Nope. The web app is not the user, the end user is the user. If you have 100000 users, that's 100000 CALs or processor licensing regardless of the web server in the way.

Which sqlserver edition is best suited to this scenario. Enterprise, Standard or Web?

Impossible to answer. Depends on what features and scalability you require

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks to Reply, Gail.

What I understood from your reply is 1000 connections to sql server from a single sql server login (even 1000 connections from application to sql serve with a single sql server login authentication) will be treated as 1000 calls. So I can not use cal per license, the only possibility is buy sql server with per processor license.

If I have a sql server with 2 processor licenses, can I purchase 2 more Processor license later?

• anuraj2k (7/14/2011)

What I understood from your reply is 1000 connections to sql server from a single sql server login (even 1000 connections from application to sql serve with a single sql server login authentication)

Per user license is for each end user. Not login or session.

So per device licence is for per each end device (laptop, desktop, cell phone, etc.)

If database information is available thought www, you have to buy processor licenses.

• Evgeny Garaev is right, anything database server which accepts connections from a website needs to be licensed as per processor.

Now this is per physical processor not cores, so if you have 2 quad-core processors, then you need two licences.

• anuraj2k (7/14/2011)

Thanks to Reply, Gail.

What I understood from your reply is 1000 connections to sql server from a single sql server login (even 1000 connections from application to sql serve with a single sql server login authentication) will be treated as 1000 calls. So I can not use cal per license, the only possibility is buy sql server with per processor license.

If I have a sql server with 2 processor licenses, can I purchase 2 more Processor license later?

+1. I once had my hands on a paper from microsoft to answer such a question.

Step 1 : Is this server going to be accessed openly on the web ( <> intranet). If yes >> Proc license. No other option available.

• this is the updated quick reference on licensing R2 from Microsoft direct

• Thanks for all,

We decided to busy SQL SERVER 2008 R2 with 2 Processors license.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply