Naming Question for dev & production servers

• Hello

I have 3 physical servers.

1 test server and 2 servers used in a cluster.

We were refering to these 3 servers as 1 "pod" to our windows admins. Meaning 1 "pod" serves the test and production needs.

Were looking for a way to refer to a group of physical servers as one entity.

Is there a term more widely used other than "pod"?

Thanks

Dave

• ... environment?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • We named our instances with a sequence number to keep the Development, Staging, and Production servers associated, something like this:

DEV01, DEV02, DEV03,

STG01, STG02, STG03,

PROD01, PROD02, PROD03

So DEV01, STG01, PROD01 would be what you are referring to as a 'pod'.

That doesn't really answer your question though, as I don't think we ever really had a general name for the groups. :unsure:

• Thanks - the naming convention for our servers were sj361, sj362, sj363 etc

Then sj362 & sj363 were refered to as SSNT-A cluster - and sj365 & sj366 were SSNT-B cluster

But "cluster" doesn't include the test server - and environment is used with "SQL Server environment" (vs Oracle or Unix environment)

"Pod" caused confusion between departments - I wanted to see if there was an official DBA term for this idea. I think I will end up staying with "Pod".

Thanks

Dave

• Development Environment, Test Environment, Production Environment?

It doesn't matter if stand alone or cluster - no confusion.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply