Named instance error

• I have a job that runs every Sat. night. This past Sat. it failed. The error description from Microsoft Website is as follows:

SYMPTOMS

A database job created with the Database Maintenance Plan Wizard fails for a named SQL Server 2000 instance. If you view the job history in SQL Server Agent and you enable the Show step details check box, you will see the following error:

sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000][Error 22029]. The step failed.

CAUSE

The string for the target folder (the folder specified to store the database backup, or the one used for the transaction log backup or the one used for reports) in a maintenance plan contains "-S". For example, the directory path "C:\Db-Save" contains an "-S" string.

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, do not use strings that contain "-S" for a directory path. Also note that the error only occurs when the "S" that follows the dash "-" is an uppercase letter ("S").

This particular job has been running correctly for months and just now failed. I'm not sure what caused it to fail. The '-S' is part of the computer name that SQL is running (and has always had that same name). Now, I'm not quite sure how to correct the problem with the minimum amount of disruption.

Thx, John
  • Check in the path where SQL saves the log files if you have any -S.
    Did you made any changes to the server? Service Pack, etc...?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply