My assignment VLDB desing spec

• Hi,

Im a Jr DBA and have been given an assignment by my lead to find information on the following.

We are to migrate existing db of size 4TB to a

DELL PowerEdge 2950[Mem:Up to 32GB]

DB : SQL Server Enterprise Edition x64

I am to find on how to design the db to provide optimum performance,fail over and consider the growing factor of the db.

1)What would be the recommended RAID settings?

2)Placement of the tempdb ?

3)Should we do clustering and why ?

4)What Data partioning would do to help?

5)Any Other aspects to be considered for sizing db ?

6)Placement of data files and log file on separate physical disk ?

7)Indexing?

I have read many sites.I would appreaciate if someone could write suggestions and opinions based on their current db design spec or previous experience,by selecting best db design points.Thank You.

[font="TimesNewRoman"] “I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work”........Thomas Alva Edison[/font]

• the new SAS drives are fast

i would consider raid5 for most of the data and separate RAID1 volumes for logs, indexes, any tables you want on a separate filegroup, etc.

i tried RAID 0 +1 and compared to RAID5 on the same server it's about the same speed with the newest hardware

• Here is some additional info:-

This is a huge Data Warehouse and the current size is 2.5TB with an expectation to grow up to 4TB [growing fast]

Everyday there are about 14 files coming in [about 20GB]that will go through ETL and be stored into the datawarehouse.

1)Could you explain further on the steps I can take for the tempdb,best approach placement,location,sizing,any settings?

2)My lead has also informed me that there are considering of purchasing a Dell Power Vault Storage as well.Any advise on physical structure of disk? Placement of data file and log file?

3)How Indexing would help?

4)How to ensure log file does not outgrow?

Could someone also explain to me on how to manage the evergrowing tempdb? What are the settings I should choose?

How will data partioning help?

Any other points I'm missing out on ?

Do provide me with more good ideas and advise.Thank You!

[font="TimesNewRoman"] “I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work”........Thomas Alva Edison[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply