multivalue parameter selection

• Hi,

i have created one report in which i called stored procedure from sql server.In this procedure i called functions.input parameter to both procedure and function is month.when i selected multivalue parameter in ssrs.when i run this report by selecting 2-3 months then it doesnt retrieve data.for single month selection it executed properly.

i have used in parrmeter in both procedure and function to pass many inputs.

plese anyone can help me in ths?

• Hi

I believe that when you call a Stored procedure with a multivalued parameter with strings they are sent as:

'Jan,feb,Mar,Apr' etc

I think you nedd to parse the parameter in the procedure to get:

'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr'

to get it to work.

Hope it helps.

Michael

• We had the same problem, so we created the following function to properly convert the parameters...

******************************************************************************

USE [InsertDatabaseName]

GO

/*** BEGIN CREATE FUNCTION [Insert Schema Name].[funcParseInputStringToTable] ***/

CREATE FUNCTION [Insert Schema Name].[funcParseInputStringToTable]

(@InputString nvarchar(255))

/* SPECIFY TEMPORARY TABLE*/

RETURNS @InputStringTable TABLE

(InputValue nvarchar(255))

BEGIN

/* DECLARE VARIABLES*/

DECLARE @Index1 AS nvarchar(255),

@ParameterValue AS nvarchar(255)

/* SET VARIABLES */

SET @Index1 = CHARINDEX(',', @InputString)

/* LOOP THROUGH THE INPUT STRING AND IDENTIFY THE INDIVIDUAL VALUES */

WHILE (@Index1 > 0 OR LEN(@InputString) > 0)

BEGIN

/* PARSE OUT EACH INDIVIDUAL PARAMETER AND STORE IN THE TEMPORARY TABLE */

IF @Index1 > 0

BEGIN

SET @ParameterValue = Left(@InputString,@Index1 - 1)

SET @InputString = Right(@InputString,Len(@InputString) - @Index1)

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @ParameterValue = @InputString

SET @InputString = ''

END

INSERT @InputStringTable (InputValue)

VALUES(CAST(@ParameterValue AS nvarchar(255)))

/* PREPARE TO LOOP */

SET @Index1 = CHARINDEX(',', @InputString)

END

/* RETURN THE VALUES FROM THE INPUT STRING */

RETURN

END

Then use the following in your procs:

CREATE PROC [Schema].[ProcName] @InputString [nvarchar](255)

AS

SELECT

[Insert Fields]

FROM

[Insert Table]

WHERE

INSERT [Insert Field] IN (SELECT * FROM funcParseInputStringToTable(@InputString))

END

Hope this helps....

• This can be done easily by using the JOIN built in function in SSRS.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• can you explin JOIN built in function in SSRS?i am not aware about this fn.

• thanks for your help....this table valued function is very mch helpful for me...thnks guys.....

• If you are calling a stored proc in a dataset, it is easy to pass a parameter list from a multivalue parameter by using a JOIN expression.

Lets assume you have a parameter called SalesArea that is a multi value parameter, and you want to pass this to the dataset.

On the window where you define the dataset parameters, specify you want to use an expression to define the parameter value. In the expression window, type the following:

=JOIN(Parameters!SalesArea.Value, ",")

Job done.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• nice one, really simple solution, thanks for the update of the example!!

• hey,

im nt getting....this is related to SSRS to pass multiple values.But in database how procedure take the multiple values if i have selected multiple values in report?

In in parameter of procedure we will pass only one value if i want to pass multiple value then i have to use loop.am i wright?

pls help me...im confused.

• The data from your parameter can end up in an IN list in your stored proc.

I do not have an example I can show you today, but may be able to get hold of one tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply