msdb No Tran Log Backups

• I have a Tran Log backup maintenance job that affects the system databases. I have selected it to back up the tran logs for each system database. When I look in the backup directory there are tran logs for the model databsase, the master and msbd do not have any tran log backups. this worries me because the server is very busy shouldn't there be at least tran log backups for the Master db?

Thanks

E...

• No master should always be a full backup to get the changes. You cannot restore the Master DB and TLs. Master only stores changs to server and databases physical location. Model is the base template for all new DBs and thus does not have changes to it. MSDB is for agent related items and is setup that you should make full backups as there should not be a high number of transactions within that DB. All user defined DBs are the things that have major transactions and thus a TL.

• You should schedulle system databases backups, and also backup a database after you change it. For example, if you create a new db, backup the master, if you add an operator for a job, backup the msdb.

• You can do log backups of MSDB, you just have to change the recovery mode. Then every time SQL starts you have to reset it, MS apparently prefers it to be in simple mode. Whether it makes sense depends on the size of msdb and the volume of changes. If you've got a couple thousand jobs or DTS packages, transaction log isn't a bad idea in case something bad happens.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply