MS SQL server 2017 express usage without admin rights

• Hi all! Sorry for the dumb questuon, but I did not find any answer on ms or stackoverflow. I know that for installing ths sql server, I need admin rights. But, if I only want to use it as a client amd connect to remote databases, do I still need the admin rights for daily usage or can I use it with regular user? https://omegle.onl/

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  ichiha68.
  • The standard SQL Server client tool is called SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). Download it from here. You'll need admin rights to install it, but after that you should be all set.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can absolutely create logins (and there are several choices on how to do this) that only have enough privileges to do certain things and not others. And then, yeah, you can use those on a regular basis. In fact, that's a great practice. Only log into the production server from a production login when you're doing actual maintenance, troubleshooting, what have you. Otherwise, all connections are through a reduced set of privileges. Great approach.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ichiha68 wrote:

Hi all! Sorry for the dumb questuon, but I did not find any answer on ms or stackoverflow. I know that for installing ths sql server, I need admin rights. But, if I only want to use it as a client amd connect to remote databases, do I still need the admin rights for daily usage or can I use it with regular user?

What do you need to do?  Do you need to be able to connect to various SQL server instances in your enterprise, and perform admin tasks and execute queries?  If that answer is yes, you do not need SQL Express, or any other version.

As Phil said, and provided a link, you only need to install SSMS.

If however, you need to be able to create and run a database locally on your machine, there is a service account that SQL Server runs under. This can be a local system account, or it can be a domain account.  SQL should not run with any admin level privileges.

Also, if you do need the ability to run SQL databases locally, the developer editions are free and contain all of the features of a licensed(enterprise) version of SQL Server.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply