Moving the server to New Domain

• Hi, We are planning to move one of our production SQL server 2005 to new domain. Everything will be handled by Windows team. But from the Database side, Do we have any issues or things to be cautious during the move?? I will take the backups before they move to different domain. Do we get any login issues ?

Please let me know..

Thank you

• I don't think you will have any problems with logins, Just be on safe side script our the logins and users. All AD accounts will be changed at windows level i guess.

EnjoY!
  • Thank You. That makes sense.

• If the old domain is going away, then you may need to re-add any domain accounts or groups (especially if that group or user is not currently in the new domain).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Will the server have the same name in the new domain? If not you may have to run some scripts to update the SQL Server metadata.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• And obviously if your MSSQLSERVER service uses a domain account to log on at startup than you need to take care of that also. 🙂

• Domain Change:

1. Services running under domain account should be changed

2. Check the report server and sharepoint if you are working

3. Script out the Logins of the servers you are moving physically.

4. Shared folders of domain account should be checked.

5. Application / weservers - config files and website

Hope this adds.

-Win.

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Make sure that the SPN is registered once the server hs been added to the new domain. Often an oversight that I have seen many times.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191153.aspx

Is the SQL server clustered?

Thanks

Chris

------------------------
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
    ------------------------
    Blog: http://sqlserver365.blogspot.co.uk/
    Twitter: @ckwmcgowan
    ------------------------
  • Migrating two old domains to one new one has been our major nightmare for the last nine months!

The other two and a half thousand users at various sites around the UK have been migrated over that period and now we developers/dbas are the last few user accounts to migrate and it is taking at least three days of our time each to sort out all the permissions and the new build pc for ourselves and get working again.

All the user accounts have been changed. We avoid user account direct access to servers and those windows accounts needing permissions are in groups which are being migrated so it is group access that needs checking. Most of our access is via intranet applications and sql logins which don't need to change so that one less headache.

The servers are being migrated at weekends so Monday was a nightmare picking up the pieces. I am finding so many problems where the new service accounts don't have the same permissions as the old so, for example, the backups cannot be copied off the server!

Changing the service accounts is an ongoing process for me at present. Just getting logged onto the server is the first hurdle as the new domain group for sql admins hasn't usually been added to the server administrators group!

Use the configuration manager and the reporting services configuration manager to change service accounts.

If you have to change a reporting services account, make sure that the encryption key is backed up first, that you know where the .snk file is and what the password is. One server, set up without me, had no backup of this and the encrypted data got deleted from the ReportServer database in the migration and it took a whole day to sort out the reports for a bought in package and the associated accounts :angry:

Database mail is something else that needs changing to use new email accounts and new domain exchange servers - this is just a tedious job plodding through the many servers.

• Thank you very much for all your inputs. We successfully migrated to new domain with out any issues. After seeing the responses, I just backedup all my dbs, scripted logins and confirmed that services r running under local system account. Ther is no sharepoint, clustering or replication on this server. Pretty simple sql server...

Thank you

• I am finding so many problems where the new service accounts don't have the same permissions as the old so, for example, the backups cannot be copied off the server!

Changing the service accounts is an ongoing process for me at present. Just getting logged onto the server is the first hurdle as the new domain group for sql admins hasn't usually been added to the server administrators group!

It is Server Admin and DBA's job to make sure the first and basic thing SQL services account and DBA's are domain admin group on SQL machine you cannot miss that, backup folder server team should take care of that.

EnjoY!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply