Moving replication to new servers

• We are going to be moving an application and all related databases to

new servers. There is transactional and snapshot replication setup from

one database to multiple databases on another server. The current environment is SQL2000 Sp3a on Windows AS 2000. The servers we are moving to are Windows 2003 with SQL2000 Sp4. Both the current and new environment uses a distributor on a separate server. My question revolves around setting up the replication in the new environment. I am trying to set it up and test it now. I had no problem setting it up in the current environment in which the SQLAgent service is running under the same domain account on the publisher, distributor and subscriber. In the new environment the SQLAgent is running under a local administrator account on each server. I was able to configure the distributor by setting up a shared folder for the snapshot folder and was able to identify the publisher SQL server instance successfully from the distributor server. I could also register both the publisher and subscriber instances on the distributor server using windows authentication which kind of surprised me since I was logged on with the local administrator account on the distributor and not a domain account. When I registered the other instances and connect through EM it shows me as being connected with the local administrator account for the other servers?? Anyway, my main problem right now is that I went to configure the publisher on the other server and it cannot connect to the distributor server. It also gives me an error when I try to register the distributor instance on the publisher server. I've tried both windows and sql server authentication and neither are working. Do I need to change the SQL Agents to run under a domain account? If not, does anybody have any ideas on why I can't connect to the distributor server from the publisher, but I can connect to the publisher server from the distributor?

• The problem with connecting to the distributor from the publisher turned out to be due to firewall settings, so this has been resolved. Hopefully, I won't have any problems setting up the rest of the replication. If I do, I may be back...

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply