Moving database files to other drive

• SQL Server Databases present on different servers are present on SAN storage drives. I don't know much about storage drives, but there are some 10 drives on my server(C:drive to N: drive) .Data files(.mdf) are stored on J: drive and I want to move some data files on to other drive(M:drive).

Can we do sp_detach and sp_attach of these files or is there any other procedure? Is there any other method for SAN storage?

• Just make sure that no one else is using the database. After which you can use the sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db after the relevant files are moved to their new location.

• If you're moving several databases make sure you attach in the correct order to maintain the database id's.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I just want to move only one database from that drive to other. other databases will be on the same drive.

Can I put the database in single user mode?

• The database being moved needs to be completely offline prior to moving the files. 

Thanks,

Lori

• Detach- Move mdf and ldf files- Attach

• --> If you're moving several databases make sure you attach in the correct order to maintain the database id's.

I didnot get that. Like..

If I am moving DB1(DB1.mdf, DB1.log)

DB2(DB2.mdf, DB2_data.ndf, DB2.log)

DB3(DB3.mdf, DB3.log)

If I am moving DB1.mdf from drive D: to driveE: , DB1.log to drive F: and DB2.mdf and DB2.ndf from drive D: to Drive G: etc..

How can I maintain the database ID's?

• Use the below statement from the master db. Hope this helps !

use master

select * from sysdatabases order by dbid

Get busy living ....or get busy dying....

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply